“Sinful” Twilight Advent Calendars Offensive!

December 2, 2010 by
Filed under News

Article taken from “The Metro”

Apparently Stephen Green, leader of the organization “Christian Voice”, the one that wanted “Jerry Springer the Opera” prosecuted for blasphemy and which led to the abolition of the offence, is at it again!

Apparently Tesco is selling chocolate filled advent calendars on the theme of the the popular vampire film series “Twilight”. He states that it is “deeply offensive to Christians” (i.e. him).

He also said “It’s sickening to see the message of Jesus Christ being hijacked to peddle a brand like Twilight, which to all intents and purposes proclaims an anti-religious cult,’ said Stephen Green, national director of the group.

“Twilight may be fiction, but it is dangerous to mix-up such a story in the minds of impressionable children with that of the Nativity.”

(In other words….”I’ve been out of the media spotlight for far too long, and I haven’t made a fuss out of anything popular for a while so this’ll do!”)

To their credit Tesco are standing firm on the issue stating that while they apologize if anyone was offended (anyone out there offended?), but Twilight is a popular brand and they are going to offer the public a choice, unlike if Christian Voice had their way they’d have all schoolchildren in church 24/7 on their knees undergoing full indoctrination treatment and sucking all the fun out of life!

Comments

7 Responses to ““Sinful” Twilight Advent Calendars Offensive!”

1. Mark on December 2nd, 2010 7:59 pm

I’m offended – by Stephen Green that is! He reminds me of Mary Whitehouse – someone who actively seeks out things to be offended by. He must be desperately seeking publicity to come up with this one.

Mind you, he’s going to be busy in the run up to Christmas as there are millions of non-Jesus products out there in thousands of shops – Tesco is just the start (but it’s probably round the corner from where he lives).

‘Christian Voice’ is a good name for Green’s little organization because it’s only his tedious voice we hear coming from it.

2. lt_zippy2 on December 3rd, 2010 6:52 am

I have to share this comment taken from another forum that I posted this story onto.

“I’m very offended, Jesus was a zombie not a vampire!”

Classic!

3. Atheist Advent on December 5th, 2010 1:09 pm

Me thinks I spy cynical marketing; drumming up some faux-controversy to flog cheap chocs.

4. David Craggs on December 6th, 2010 11:22 am

Yeah I saw it too lol. It’s ridiculous. Doesn’t Christianity also promote symbollic vampirism and the quest for eternal life.

Anyway, in my frustration, I wrote them an email a few days ago on the subject.

Atheist Zoo – email to Christian Voice

5. Mark on December 6th, 2010 12:00 pm

David, thanks for the link re your email to Christian Voice. Do let us know if you get a reply, although I can guess at the content already!

6. Steph on December 20th, 2010 9:41 pm

Perhaps the pagans should start being offended at having their winter festival hijacked by the Christians.

Will my neighbours be offended by the Season’s Greetings card I give them?

Are the makers of the Twilight calendars offended at the critisism?

Poeple taking offence causes most of the world’s problems.

7. Mark on December 20th, 2010 10:59 pm

Steph, welcome to Atheism.

One of the phrases you’ll see us using frequently on here is, “No one has the right not to be offended”.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.