Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by atheists and others that have a non-religious worldview, who live in the UK

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: BBC The Big Questions

rslicker
Calcium
BBC The Big Questions
on: January 11, 2015, 14:37

This show was back this morning and provided some comedy moments albeit unintentionally. Did anyone watch? I must admit it enrages me more than anything as its car crash tv, but I can't resist. There was a guy called Taiwo who represents some lunatic fringe, he had a go at humanism and his comments beggar belief. He may prove to be a valuable recruit for atheism? I urge anyone who didn't watch to do so via catch up means. Usual lunatic Muslim also but was impressed by Maajid Nawaz.

Graham-
Martin-Roy-
le
Calcium
Re: BBC The Big Questions
on: January 11, 2015, 15:29

Maajid Nawaz, despite being a theist of the islamic variety, is pretty level headed and normally quite sensible. I didn't watch the program cos I can't stand it, it's far too full of religious drivel.

barfly123
Calcium
on: January 11, 2015, 21:41

I work on most Sundays but when I get a free Sunday I some times watch as I do my ironing the trouble with this format there are many claims made by the theists that go unchallenged a year or so ago some one claimed that his church had healed some one with terminal cancer and that a London hospital referred terminal patients to them this was applauded by the theists but was the end as the topic closed for discussion and they either moved on to the next topic or the show ended.

Cider
Calcium
on: December 29, 2017, 19:52

I recall a few years ago now, watching The Big Questions, it really made me laugh!. Nicky Campbell addressed this woman in the audience who claimed she sees angels constantly!. "Can you see angels at this moment" he asked her, she replied "yes Nicky, I can see two angels behind each of the people in the audience opposite!". Now there wasn't even a titter from the audience as I recall, had I been present, well, I would probably have been asked to leave!.
The only conclusions I drew from this ladies behaviour were either 1) she was lying. 2) She needed psychiatric help. 3) She actually sees angels!. I of course rule out 3 instantly!!.

Alcuin
Administrator
on: December 29, 2017, 21:30

I think the audience reaction is interesting. I don't think their silence implied they took her seriously. They were probably trying to be polite and not distress or embarrass the woman. I hope I would have been as sensitive as the silent majority but I suspect we might have both been thrown out. No wish to humiliate people like that, but it can be galling when everyone just sits there as if the absurd should go unchallenged. She was grown up. Most people probably thought it was too silly for comment and wanted to move on.

Cider
Calcium
on: December 30, 2017, 03:04

Your probably right Alcuin, however I did expect Mr Campbell, as moderator, to challenge her claims!.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.093 seconds.