Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by everybody.

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: The Right to Offend

Alcuin
Administrator
The Right to Offend
on: January 18, 2015, 07:57

I think the Charlie Hebdo cartoons have raised a great and important debate. For the first time on a global scale people are genuinely questioning whether cartoons can be used to depict religion and Mohammed.

Charlie Hebdo didn't set out to offend anyone they simply didn't let the fact that others felt offended stop them. Just because it is predictable that what one has to say will be taken as insulting and offensive it doesn't follow that one should self-censor. Sometimes those who feel offended are wrong to take offence, not those who are seen to be causing it.

Taking offence can be just as wrong as causing it.

BlueRoux
Calcium
Re: The Right to Offend
on: January 19, 2015, 02:33

The problem is that they cant not take offense. It is intrinsic to their superstitions that they believe that their religion and they themselves are superior to us infidels, and our derision flies in the face of their dogma that all infidels are to be converted, subjugated and enslaved, or exterminated. Obviously, mocking their nonsense is neither conversion or submitting, so the only option they have in their playbook (which is all they refer to, according to their playbook) is murder.

The sooner the world realizes that islam is at war with the world, the better.

Same goes for christianity.

barfly123
Calcium
on: January 19, 2015, 14:51

they do look to be offended the Muslims are not the only religious group to do this but probably the most violent. There answer is kill kill, kill then complain when there is a response to the violence the apologist come out of the wood work with titles like scholar community leader etc. Even ordinary people will make excuses saying they should not have been killed but they should have know they would get violent, How long before some nut tries to kill the writers of jesus and mo

thebarman
Boron
on: January 22, 2015, 13:33

An interesting aspect for me is that the admission of offence to a religion is in itself an admission that God does not exist, because it creates an unavoidable paradox.

To a Muslim, insulting Islam or the Prophet is to insult and offend Allah. But offence is only caused by those with an insecurity about the insult. To say that Allah is offended is to say Allah has had his feelings hurt. This is an admission that 1) Allah can be hurt, and 2) Allah is insecure about the images of his Prophet.

Both of these are at odds with Omnipotence. A God that is offended, hurt or insecure is not omnipotent because if they were they would not care, therefore they are not God, not all powerful and do not exist.

Daniel-
stretton
Hydrogen
on: May 12, 2019, 15:10

I think the right to offend is fundamental to maintaining free speech in a nation. I think as of late in this country this has been very much erroroded in recent years not just for the religious but to offend anyone. this has lead to people falling more towards the political extremes and fall into dogmatic collectivism. even people like us who do not follow a religion seem to be falling into this tribalistic trap as of late. I think the perfect examples of late are the prosecutions and sentencing of people who make offensive jokes online in the uk such as mark meechan who was charged and sentenced for posting a video of his dog doing a nazi salute as a prank to annoy his girlfriend or the teenage women who was sentenced for posting rap lyrics on facebook to commemorate her late friend who enjoyed the song.

Three Legs-
and a-
Wheel
Calcium
on: May 12, 2019, 15:53

jesus christ on a motorcycle. I've never heard such sense in a long time.

Where did it all go wrong?

Sometime in the 80s - 90s we went all PC.

Why?

My take is this: People can make the choice to be offended by what others say. People can also make the choice NOT to be offended by what others say. In other words, taking offence is a CHOICE. It isn't something that's intrinsic.

When I was a child, we made jokes about all sorts of people and situations and, to be honest, no one ever gave a dead dingo's dongo. They were jokes. That's all. We laughed. We moved on. Yes, some were in poor taste. The rest were in very poor taste. But we laughed because they were funny, not because they were insulting.

Today, it's got to the point where people even get offended on behalf of others. Can you believe it? Offended on behalf of others. Really?

What I've noticed these days is that one can't even criticise or complain without someone, somewhere getting offended. They just can't hack it anymore. They don't know what to do. They just stare in disbelief that someone has had the audacity to complain. Well, sod that for a game of soldiers. If I need to complain or criticise, then complain or criticise I will.

As the great Stephen Fry once said: 'You are offended by that? So fucking what!'

Alcuin
Administrator
on: May 13, 2019, 15:14

Certainly it is just as wrong to take offence unnecessarily as to intentionally cause offence.

I can't comment much on the Meechan case as I don't know enough about it, but it does seem PCGM. "Political Correctness", (PC) now has a bad name with some people, but it is important not to confuse it with Political Correctness Gone Mad, (PCGM). In fact, having a go at PC may be one of the most PCGM activities online.

The fact that gays are more accepted in society may be due to their objection to being called 'homos' (which tended to be used in such a derogatory way) and they embraced (or appropriated) the word 'gay'. It was people's sympathetic cooperation in that which was both PC and effective. That shouldn't be confused with cases like Meechan's or with many of these...
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/2018-most-politically-correct-moments/

Like everything, what is PC and what's PCGM is a matter of opinion, but certainly free speech is very important and Je suis Charlie Hebdo, for sure! All you had to do to avoid being offended by that publication was not to buy it.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.091 seconds.