Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by atheists and others that have a non-religious worldview, who live in the UK

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Virgins

DomingoDeS-
antaClara
Boron
Virgins
on: January 24, 2015, 09:00

I have heard that a Muslim Martyr can expect the attention of 72 virgins on his arrival at the pearly gates.I'm not familiar with the Koran but i've often wondered if there is any mention of what species or sex these virgins are likely to be.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Homeless-
Nutter
Boron
Re: Virgins
on: February 3, 2015, 10:53

They're mermaids...

But on a serious note - the 72-virgins-thing is not in the Quran. It's mentioned in passing in one of the hadith - stories about the life of Muhammad, an addition to the Quran, which is supposed to contain the majority of prophet's actual teachings. Many of those stories (the one in question included) are considered unreliable even by Muslim scholars. Of course, neither hadith, nor the Quran are particularly reliable - to a rational person - considering that none of this was written down until decades after the death of the Prophet.
Then there's the translation problem - many translate the 72 "virgins" as 72 grapes, or raisins.

At the end of the day - it's all made-up nonsense, there is no afterlife, that anyone knows of, so it's not really important. And crazy people have to believe in some kind of crazy things, because otherwise they wouldn't be crazy...

dod
Neon
on: February 22, 2015, 19:50

It's the female martyrs I feel sorry for. 72 virgins! That's a hell of a lot of bad sex.

russell20
Calcium
on: February 22, 2015, 21:09

@ Domingo

If you feel like picking your way through the link, I think you will find everyone get's an unspecified number of virgins (where do they find them ?) according to the Hadiths. The Hadiths being the mutterings of Mo and are separate from the Qur'an.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/jan/12/books.guardianreview5

bykermann
Hydrogen
on: May 19, 2015, 18:47

How any moderately intelligent person can give this any credence is beyond me. Actually its now suggested the average Islamist suicide bomber gets a bunch of grapes, not 72 virgins after all.

From guardian referenced above

Luxenberg tries to show that many obscurities of the Koran disappear if we read certain words as being Syriac and not Arabic. We cannot go into the technical details of his methodology but it allows Luxenberg, to the probable horror of all Muslim males dreaming of sexual bliss in the Muslim hereafter, to conjure away the wide-eyed houris promised to the faithful in suras XLIV.54; LII.20, LV.72, and LVI.22. Luxenberg 's new analysis, leaning on the Hymns of Ephrem the Syrian, yields "white raisins" of "crystal clarity" rather than doe-eyed, and ever willing virgins - the houris. Luxenberg claims that the context makes it clear that it is food and drink that is being offerred, and not unsullied maidens or houris.

River
Hydrogen
on: January 2, 2016, 21:56

Quote from dod on February 22, 2015, 19:50
It's the female martyrs I feel sorry for. 72 virgins! That's a hell of a lot of bad sex.

Not necessarily they could be lesbians! Besides it's the wives I feel sorry for, If the interpretation is right and it is 72 virgins for men the wives only get their husbands.

Do you Know the Imams white wash this for the Islamic lady, they are told that THEY are the most beautiful woman in the group 😯

And they say they have more respect for women, that goes to show they only see females as children and try and pander to their perceived insecurity

mightyboos-
h
Boron
on: January 8, 2016, 19:48

I'd be a bit miffed if I only got 72 raisins for blowing myself up. Why not just nip to Tesco and buy some?

Alcuin
Administrator
on: January 9, 2016, 09:33

Jesus Christ! He gets to have an eternal life with 72 virgins and he's "miffed"!

Welcome MB. I hope you'll read what EdSec UK is up to these days....
https://www.atheismuk.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1170

mightyboos-
h
Boron
on: January 9, 2016, 12:59

OK can I just clarify something. Do I get 72 raisins,72 grapes or 72 virgins? I need to know before I commit to blowing myself up. Also if I do get the virgins, what if I they're not my type. Can I demand replacements? It's the details I need to know.

Blessed_Ch-
eesemaker
Neon
on: May 31, 2016, 14:47

Who wants 72 virgins? Now make it 72 deep down dirty and filthy experienced nymphos, and I'll Allahu Akbar the heck out of it.

John416
Boron
on: September 28, 2018, 02:04

If it is virgins, in this day and age you have to picture something akin to SuBo. In which case you can keep 'em! But now I've heard of this 'raisin' alternative, perhaps they are hinting at WINE being provided with Muslims being predominantly anti-booze perhaps arriving in the after-life to find box upon box of Chateau Mohammed might actually be something worth considering? Heaven full of lightweight newly drunk mozzies would be a sight to behold.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.174 seconds.