Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by atheists and others that have a non-religious worldview, who live in the UK

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: We are told its impossible to prove the nonexistence of God. Why?

Alcuin
Administrator
Re: We are told its impossible to prove the nonexistence of God. Why?
on: November 27, 2016, 10:26

I don't know about "impossible". Some people (like me) feel that all gods so far defined in godchecker.com, including all Abrahamic gods, have been disproven. Clearly not everyone is convinced and no amount of evidence seems to change their view. I think pointing out the evidence that all gods are mankind's creations helps reduce the conviction of the 'religiously afflicted' 🙂

It is very hard to get people to define their god very precisely and the vaguer an asserted 'fact' the harder it is to prove a negative. Few people who say they believe in god believe in the same definition of the entity. That is why the first question of a believer or religionist should always be to define their god.

DavidR
Boron
Re: We are told its impossible to prove the nonexistence of God. Why?
on: April 25, 2018, 22:03

May I suggest you read God - The Failed Hypothesis, How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist written by Victor J. Stenger.

Notwithstanding, it is up to the proponent of the existence of God to prove that existence, NOT the opposer to disprove (you cannot disprove that which stands unproven). To quote Carl Sagan, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Also you will find Hitchen's Razor useful - "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

If a Theist asks you if there is a God, simply reply, "I do not know, but in the absence of sound evidence I can only conclude there is not. However, if you can provide me with sound evidence that there is, then I am quite prepared to move my position." This knocks the stuffing out of them as you have indicated that you are prepared to shift your position whilst they always adopt a position of total intransigence.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.049 seconds.