The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Warning: Illegal string offset 'signature' in /homepages/20/d676116640/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/mingle-forum/wpf.class.php on line 911

Warning: Illegal string offset 'signature' in /homepages/20/d676116640/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/mingle-forum/wpf.class.php on line 911

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: UCL Meetings 2 Dec 2016

Boron
UCL Meetings 2 Dec 2016
on: November 28, 2016, 20:55

There are two meetings being held at University College London, Institute of Archaeology, Gordon Square, on Friday (2 Dec 2016). I came to this forum hoping there might be some information about them. The first is a Roundtable on Who cares about unbelief? The second is a debate on Is Atheism a Religion? Obviously my answer is No! Any comments? Rather long link here:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/nsrn-annual-lecture-is-atheism-a-religion-registration-28392936036?utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order_confirmation_email&utm_term=eventname&ref=eemailordconf

Alcuin
Re: UCL Meetings 2 Dec 2016
on: November 29, 2016, 08:56

I try to pass on information about such meetups and meetings but there are so many and I don't do it in any organised way. I don't know if passing on such info on this site would help many people. For instance, this announcement....
"A Skeptic's defence of religion: Glasgow Secular Society, 7:30 Thursday December 1, Glasgow Theosophical Society, 17 Queens Crescent, Saint George's Gross, Glasgow".
How many people in Glasgow come here looking for meetings? What about the Glasgow Skeptics and HSS who also hold regular Glasgow meetings (and some throughout the UK)? LAAG who hold regular meetings in London? So if anyone wishes to collate data from around the UK and Ireland and put it here, I think that's a great idea. I've tried to create a blog to do just that, as well as highlight the most interesting and topical atheist and humanist news items from around the globe but it is more work than I have time for.

I am still discovering new blogs and forums, such as this one...
https://theserendipitousatheist.wordpress.com/category/new/

From Jeepyjay's link....
"Some atheists answer the question [is Atheism a religion] negatively and reject what they see as a false equivalence between atheism and religious beliefs. Others wish to see atheism and humanism included in religious education curricula."
That doesn't seem to be my experience. I think most atheists do not see a contradiction in that quote. Most non-believers I speak to agree with the first sentence but also accept that atheism or humanism has to be included in some legislation on religion (including capitalizing the A and the H at the start of those words, if necessary). If atheism/humanism is omitted entirely from legislation or international organizations (such as legislation on human rights or freedom of expression) then non-believers are sometimes omitted altogether, giving the impression that everyone has some religious affiliation. So, I think the person who wrote the Description for the NSRN annual lecture didn't put much thought into it. I hope the lecture is goes better. (Just my humble opinion).

Of course atheism isn't a religion. Don't people have dictionaries?! I suppose it could be seen as a movement and the movement be compared to a religion, but to what purpose? If one isn't religious I see no purpose. Such obfuscation may benefit religionists by portraying "them" (non-believers) to be "just as bad as us".

Religions are just big cults. Someone said to me quite recently, "I thought atheism was a sort of cult". So she thought that the groups with the clerics, unelected hierarchies, worship, rituals, superstitions and even exorcists were 'normal' and atheism was the cult. That illustrates how religionists use obfuscation to confuse their "sheep". A better lecture would be about how to hold people accountable for the behaviour and attitudes that result from their religious beliefs or "belief system".

Boron
Re: UCL Meetings 2 Dec 2016
on: November 30, 2016, 08:31

Being used to mathematical thinking I am aware of such concepts as a null set, one having no members, or an unknot, one having no entanglements, so there is no logical difficulty in seeing atheism or unbelief as a null religion - one with no supernatural beliefs or religious rites. In the same way that baldness is a hair style. But I suspect that those who argue that atheism is a religion are as you say trying to justify their own religious position as being equally rational.

There is a LAAG meeting on the same day, later in the evening, an ex-Xmas party. I may have time to look in. Being in Hastings myself I can't quite make it to Glasgow in time!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.055 seconds.