The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Refuting theist arguments TOPIC CLOSED

Yadayadaya-
da
Hydrogen
Refuting theist arguments
on: December 28, 2016, 22:53

Hi all.

Well, I have just began an interesting discussion with a theist. He is generally quite intelligent, well respected, and rarely loses a debate, so I want to put in a good showing!

Below is his reply to my comments:

"How does natural selection explain how complex organs, like the eye, could have evolved, when everything we know about the eye says that it is useless unless all the components are in place at the same time?

As for "the reptile-mammal transition evidence," where is it in "evidence"? What are the actual mechanics that achieve it? Not speculation, ACTUAL. Not variation in a genus [which evolutionists cling to as being evolution]. Biological changes where a living entity can be observed to be changing into something different, breaching the barriers of its DNA.

For reptiles to become mammals, that breach must have happened. So, show where reptiles are in a state of doing so today - where that transition is taking place.

You cannot, so your comment "The FACTS show that the concept of a God is so utterly unlikely as to be considered impossible" is not what the FACTS show at all.

Instead, what is overwhelmingly in evidence is what the Bible itself says, that like begets like, and you as well as I rely on that to occur in all facets of life, from growing/eating fruit and vegetables through to human/animal procreation."

Any thoughts on how best to respond to his arguments?

Alcuin
Re: Refuting theist arguments
on: December 30, 2016, 12:46

Start at the beginning. If someone is claiming there is a god, get them to define it.

The questions you pose contain many dubious assumptions. For instance, it is assumed that one can simply provide evidence for “the reptile-mammal transition” in a link or a post on a forum like this and the religionist will then accept it.

Professor Braterman’s book and his writing on evolution vs Creationism might help those genuinely interested in evolutionary processes and how they work.

Evolution, or what is known about some of its processes, is widely accepted by most religionists and most believers in gods. I think you may be talking to a Creationist of some description. Believers are usually personally invested in the existence of a god, or appear more inclined to follow their intuitive opinion that a god exists than the evidence for evolution which appears to them to contradict their 'beliefs' or 'belief system'.

Atheism is a theological term and simply means disbelief in god. Apparently, most believers in god(s) don't have any problem with evolution at all, so this individual's arguments seem to be exceptionally obtuse or dull, judging from what you have posted.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.11 seconds.