The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Religion and the Reagans

Alcuin
Religion and the Reagans
on: March 8, 2017, 17:35

Michael Reagan has come out swinging at his brother Ron Reagan, CNN and MSNBC for a controversial TV ad that promotes atheism.

The conservative commentator took to Twitter on Friday to proclaim he was boycotting both cable news networks for running a 30-second spot that features his liberal brother plugging the Freedom from Religion Foundation.

He also said their father, the late Ronald Reagan, was “crying in heaven” over Ron’s TV endorsement of the organization whose members do not believe in God.

The ad is appearing on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” and the “Rachel Maddow Show,” and on CNN’s “CNN Newsroom,” “The Lead with Jake Tapper” and “The Situation Room.”

In the ad, Ron looks into the camera and explains he is “an unabashed atheist, and I’m alarmed by the intrusion of religion into our secular government.

“That’s why I’m asking you to support the Freedom from Religion Foundation, the nation’s largest and most effective association of atheists and agnostics, working to keep state and church separate, just like our Founding Fathers intended.”

Ron identifies himself as a “lifelong atheist, not afraid of burning in hell.”

The ad had previously been refused by CBS, NBC, ABC and Discovery Science.....
http://www.prometheism.net/reagan-sons-at-war-over-atheist-tv-ad-newsmax/

tolfaramir
Boron
Re: Religion and the Reagans
on: March 9, 2017, 13:28

Do you think American Christians have played this game of "keeping up with the joneses" in which they each try to become a better Christian than their neighbours further pushing a more intense version of Christian ideology? Or... Do you think their reactions to further refute others beliefs as a response to ongoing pressures from across the globe in Islam and an atheist movement within the US?

Here in the UK we seem to have a large proportion of people who would class themselves as Christian but laugh at those who went to church or read the bible. They feel more associated to Christianity because it reflects their western views and ideas better. Not realising or not understanding that they're more closely associated to an atheists views they just continue with their lives, as we've discussed previously.

We feel so connected in our way of lives with the Americans that I struggle to understand were they're going wrong, is it school, state, neighbourhoods, foreign policy...

What do you think?

Alcuin
on: March 10, 2017, 18:55

Where are the USAmericans going wrong? Well, it certainly isn't in their schools where religion is less acceptable than in the UK's faith schools.

I think superstition is more ingrained in USAmericans and so is the unhelpful idea of having a 'set of beliefs'. It is often said that the UK is culturally Christian. I disagree. I think it more accurate to say that (at least until recent years) Christianity has been an important part of British culture.

The UK as much as the US suffers from a lack of separation of State and Church. Their problem seems more endemic in the population whereas our problems are more constitutional.

wheels5894
Calcium
on: March 10, 2017, 21:18

I wonder if some of the problem is the many more 'independent' churches or mega-churches founded and run by one guy. Here in the UK pretty much all the churches are larger organisations that train and vet people to become ministers and who then give them oversight in their ministries. This is obviously the case for the larger denominations - C of E, Catholic, Church of Scotland - but the smaller Baptists, Methodists and so on as well.

The churches in the USA are to quite an extent in competition with each other for congregations and hence income and maybe that drives their ministers towards a harder and more extreme version of the religion to give their congregations an identity that middle-of-the-road C of E congregations don't get.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.061 seconds.