The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Iraq and Afghanistan War Memorials

tolfaramir
Boron
Iraq and Afghanistan War Memorials
on: March 9, 2017, 13:19

Did anyone catch the unveiling of the war memorials for the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts? I had a few friends who left school to join the army and were sent into those conflicts at 18, they came back a psychological mess. For me it's a very nice touch to honour those who lost their lives because of those wars. What was annoying me during the service I watched at home on the BBC was the level of involvement from the Church of England throughout the ceremony. Their arrogance and self-importance almost glows from their white clothes as they spout nonsensical verses aiming to show a moral high ground.

"...to do our duty with courage and integrity in the service of God and all humankind." (From the church person who unveiled and spoke)

I didn't want to be disrespectful towards the reason this ceremony was taking place, however I see this as yet another state affair the CoE can't keep their dangerous claws off. Using this as a chance to indoctrinate and throw more propaganda at people through those who have lost their lives in conflicts, who may have been, atheists, Muslims, Christians and other faiths or otherwise, is a very selfish and immoral practice. War is not a place of God and violence is rejected by the Christian church, yet they seem to be keen to use it whenever as an example of God's presence, kindness and whatever other nonsense they can.

Alcuin
Re: Iraq and Afghanistan War Memorials
on: March 10, 2017, 12:48

Quote from tolfaramir on March 9, 2017, 13:19
...I didn't want to be disrespectful towards the reason this ceremony was taking place, however I see this as yet another state affair the CoE can't keep their dangerous claws off.....

I agree with every word of your post, Tolfaramir. It is one consequence of having a state religion instead of separation of State and Religion.

At the root of the problem is the tolerance of the British public for organized religion and clerical privilege. Yet another reason why 100% state schools are so important to the establishment and why they need to 'get them while they're young'. Few would put up with organized religion (or any cult) who weren't brought up with it.

The Royals are no help either. Charles wants to take the title 'Defender of Faith' on accession.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.043 seconds.