The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: What the hell is a committed atheist?

Alcuin
What the hell is a committed atheist?
on: March 18, 2017, 16:24

Is that the same as a "militant" atheist?

"I’m proud of Una for challenging my own atheist indoctrination of her."
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/christianity-children-confirmation-schooling-atheist-parenting-a7627086.html

And how does "atheist indoctrination" work? How do you indoctrinate someone to not believe there are 'three persons in one God', for instance?

The parents seem to view atheism as a sort of alternative set of beliefs.

Certainly be proud of a child exploring the world for herself but I still wouldn't want to encourage segregation and superstition. I would feel inclined to make that plain to her as she's learning to chant prayers and believe in sacraments, salvation and afterlife. She may be trying to fit in with religious friends and admires her teachers.

I liked this comment on the article:
What these parents have failed to realize is that they did not give their child the freedom to choose. By placing their child in a environment with both authoritative and peer ideologies pressed upon her, she has been indoctrinated into delusional behaviour without question. Allowing children to be placed in this environment is paramount to abuse. Until a child reaches the age of 21, they should be protected from delusional ideologies - without exception.
Although 16 seems a more appropriate age and how to 'protect them' varies according to age anyway.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.038 seconds.