Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by atheists and others that have a non-religious worldview, who live in the UK

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Checking out!!.

Cider
Calcium
Checking out!!.
on: December 24, 2017, 15:53

Last Saturday I took my elderly mother to the local supermarket as I do every Saturday!. At the checkout I said to the operator "are you having a quiet Christmas this year?", he answered "I hope so", I retorted "me too!" "as I find all these festivities, over something that probably never happened quite ridiculous!". He was quite taken aback and quickly commented "you can't say that!", I replied "I can and frequently do, as I'm an Atheist!". I then said that I have probably commented on such religious nonsense thousands of times and as yet have never been struck down by lightening or disease!. He said "but surely your tempting fate?", I repeated "I'm an Atheist, Atheists don't believe in fate, as fate implies your life is predestined!". On departing the checkout he said "I suppose wishing you a merry Christmas is pointless?", I replied "not at all, I like Christmas as it means I get an eight day break from work!". Merry Christmas to you, and me and my mother left. For the life of me, I will never understand why Theists think the religious texts are fact!, why they could NOT be man made fiction, devised to control and manipulate the masses!,( which sadly, they do quite well!), mainly because of peoples fear of dying). I would really love ANY religious person to come forward and proffer tangible evidence of a god or ex god of any kind!, and if they could prove their existence I would kneel down and worship them/it!. I think however my knees will not be bending!!.

Alcuin
Administrator
Re: Checking out!!.
on: December 24, 2017, 19:59

Well said, Cider. I too challenge religion (and all superstition) at appropriate opportunities.
Have fun over the hols! 🙂

Cider
Calcium
on: December 25, 2017, 10:16

You too Alcuin!!.

steven k-
palmer
Neon
on: January 8, 2020, 11:15

I see Christmas as simply the mid winter pagan festival taken over by priests back in the day to promote their religion. I mean look at Xmas symbols - mistletoe, pine trees, yule logs, puddings, turkeys, electric fairy lights- what have they got to do with the birth of baby in the middle east 2000 years ago?

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.044 seconds.