The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Fallon - A Christian in Politics (UK)

Alcuin
Fallon - A Christian in Politics (UK)
on: January 19, 2018, 16:56

..Asked about his regrets, the Westmorland and Lonsdale MP said: “In the end the difficulty I’ve got in all this is if you’re a Christian you’ve got a very clear idea about what sin is, and it is us falling short of the glory of God. That is something we equally, all of us, share.

“In one sense, to be asked that question, is to essentially persecute one group of human beings.”

Non-Christians view sin as “condemnatory” and it feels like “being accused of something”, Mr Farron said, adding that ”we’re talking different languages”

“Maybe you could’ve explained that” but it would be “naive” to think the people behind the questions were “interested in the theology”, he said.
Source:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tim-farron-gay-sex-sin-not-liberal-democrat-leader-2017-election-christian-beliefs-a8152041.html

I agree that nobody need be interested in his theology but we do care what he thinks. He is a respected politician, superstitious though he is.

We do not speak different languages. I know what he means and so does he. His assumption that non-Christians like me view sin as condemnatory is misleading at best. I view it as ridiculous as no Abrahamic imaginary friend exists.

The interview did not even make it plain that he objects only to anal sex, (in which some heterosexual couples engage and some gays do not), or whether all sexual acts between two men are to be considered a 'sin'! The problem is his muddled thinking, not my lack of understanding.

I was raised a Roman Catholic but that has done nothing to aid me. Any non-believer is just as well equipped to comprehend what he says.

Better to employ empathetic listening and critical thinking than theology.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.031 seconds.