The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Sorry responses to the death of Professor Stephen Hawking

Alcuin
Sorry responses to the death of Professor Stephen Hawking
on: March 14, 2018, 21:39

Stephen Hawking rejected a knighthood due to UKGov's mismanagement of scientific organisations*. Most people (religionist or not) recognise and respect the work of this genius.

Some people are just nuts. Professor Dawkins tweeted..
Now another TV producer wants me to talk about “the death of Professor Hawkins.” I heard Prince Philip make the same mistake when presenting Professor Hawking with a big medal. Once, after a talk at a Lit Fest, the first question I got was “Why aren’t you in your wheelchair?”
Unquote.
Another TV producer?!!

And look what Patheos has found...
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2018/03/14/a-bunch-of-religious-people-think-stephen-hawking-is-currently-burning-in-hell/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=BRSS&utm_campaign=Nonreligious&utm_content=361
"Stephen Hawking now knows the truth about how the Universe was actually made. My condolences to his family" tweeted religionist Briscoe Cain. He was not apologetic and his comments were not uncommon. Mr Cain is a Republican in the Texas House of Representatives.

On one forum thread today a religionist described Professor Hawking as "ignorant" simply because Stephen Hawking was an atheist.

Don't let anyone tell you that raising a child "in the faith" does them good. Some people appear to be incurably damaged by the experience. What does UKGov do? Press ahead with 100% faith schools.

Note: * Wiki seems to say that Professor H rejected a knighthood as he "didn't like titles"? The real reason seems to be: Hawking has been vocal about rejecting the title, explaining in interviews that he “dislikes the whole concept.” The scientist is also an open critic of the British government’s “mismanagement” of science funding. In particular, he dislikes the merger of the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council with the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils, believing they should remain separate entities for optimal discovery. Source:
http://www.toptenz.net/top-ten-people-who-declined-knighthood.php

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.092 seconds.