Forum

Update: 16th October 2018 – this Atheism UK (Mingle) forum will close on some Wednesdays between 9am-11.30am for tests to introduce a bbPress forum. Chris Street, President, Atheism UK.

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism and for the use of atheists who have registered on our web site as a Supporter of Atheism UK. Before you register as a Supporter, please note the following points:

Atheism UK is an organisation for convinced atheists. This web site serves as the public face of the organisation, as a resource for our members, and to communicate news, events and campaigns relevant to the advancement of atheism. Atheism UK is not an organisation for religious or ‘spiritual’ people. By becoming a Supporter of Atheism UK, you are declaring that you are an atheist and agree with our key Principles. The views expressed in this Forum are those of the individual authors and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Atheism UK.

Update 3rd December 2014 – Reminder: Our forum is for Atheists ONLY. Members should report theists on our forum to: contact@atheismuk.com. Theists will probably be banned without notice. 

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Homophobia still flourishes in Texas

Alcuin
Administrator
Homophobia still flourishes in Texas
on: March 16, 2018, 20:18

..As with any obituary, it mentioned her still-living family members and their spouses, saying in this case, “Those left to cherish her memory include her son, Barry Giles and his husband, John Gambill of Dallas.” When the piece was published, however, John Gambill‘s name was nowhere to be found.

That’s because the paper’s publisher, Phillip Hamilton, happens to be a Baptist pastor who thinks same-sex marriages are an abomination.

Source: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2018/03/16/tx-paper-erases-sons-husband-from-moms-obituary-its-contrary-to-gods-word/#XXJ4z7fWx8sgpceK.99

A Texas newspaper catering for prejudice, not the community.

Three Legs-
and a-
Wheel
Calcium
Re: Homophobia still flourishes in Texas
on: January 29, 2019, 14:06

Quote from Alcuin on March 16, 2018, 20:18
..As with any obituary, it mentioned her still-living family members and their spouses, saying in this case, “Those left to cherish her memory include her son, Barry Giles and his husband, John Gambill of Dallas.” When the piece was published, however, John Gambill‘s name was nowhere to be found.

That’s because the paper’s publisher, Phillip Hamilton, happens to be a Baptist pastor who thinks same-sex marriages are an abomination.

Source: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2018/03/16/tx-paper-erases-sons-husband-from-moms-obituary-its-contrary-to-gods-word/#XXJ4z7fWx8sgpceK.99

A Texas newspaper catering for prejudice, not the community.

Homophobia still flourishes full stop.

I 'live' in a town of about 1,100 inhabitants in the UK.

On average, about 2% of a population is LGBT - except in the town that I 'live' in, where no one is LGBT.

Why?

Because it's unacceptable to 'come out' in this community. If they did, they would be rejected by this society as would their family, because, as everyone knows, it's the fault of the parents. If a child grows up around here and then leaves the town, the parents are castigated for being bad parents. I kid you not.

If people don't 'come out' in this community, then the community can stick their heads in the sand, or wherever else they put them, and ignore the LGBT issue and hope that there isn't an outbreak of LGBT.

It is obvious that there are LGB in the town, yet, no one has ever come out as far as I know. Those that haven't have my sympathy.

Although I'm not gay, I wear my rainbow scarf and T-Shirt around town. I openly talk about going to LGBT events up and down the country. I often get disparaging looks from the locals for this attitude - but I am not 'of them' nor will I adopt their myopic attitudes.

The suicide rate, in these 'ere parts, is one of the highest in the country. I can't help but wonder if this is, at least in part, caused by the homophobic community.

The area has an abnormally high drugs issue. Again, I can't help but wonder if this is, at least in part, caused by the homophobic community.

This is the 21st century ffs. Life should have moved on. Being LGBT should now be accepted as normal (whatever that means). Sadly for communities of the like that I am, for the moment, a part, life stagnated long ago and homophobia reigns supreme.

Because I'm an obvious supporter of LGBT, and other minorities, I am slowly being rejected by the locals. What they fail to understand is that a) I rejected them long ago and b) I couldn't give a flying fart what they do or don't do.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.039 seconds.