The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Toledo abuse scandal

Alcuin
Toledo abuse scandal
on: September 13, 2018, 13:16

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/12/spanish-actor-detained-after-ridiculing-god-and-the-virgin-mary?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet
....The case stems from a July 2017 Facebook message, in which Toledo defended three women who paraded in the southern city of Sevilla with a giant vagina, simulating a religious procession, dubbing it the “Coño Insumiso” or “Insubordinate Pussy”.

In his post Toledo said: “I shit on God, and I have enough shit left over to shit on the dogma of the sanctity and virginity of the Virgin Mary. This country is unbearably shameful. I’m disgusted.”

He was denounced by the Spanish Association of Christian Lawyers for “covering God and the Virgin Mary with ridicule”.

Toledo did not answer a first summons for questioning on 18 April, arguing he had not “committed any offence and so there is no need to appear before a judge”.

The Madrid court ordered he be detained after he again ignored a summons to appear for questioning on 28 June.

Spanish rapper due to begin jail term vows to 'disobey fascist state'

The case is one many where artists have been probed or jailed for voicing their opinions in Spain....
Unquote.

This case has to be seen in context. I am told that it is very difficult to leave the RC Church in Spain. Everyone is automatically registered with a parish and money is received for every "member" of the congregation.

Spain is not particularly religious, from what I hear. The problem seems to be that the Church in Spain is even more powerful, better funded and organised than the Church of England. Perhaps Spanish speakers could enlighten us more.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.051 seconds.