Forum

Update: 16th October 2018 – this Atheism UK (Mingle) forum will close on some Wednesdays between 9am-11.30am for tests to introduce a bbPress forum. Chris Street, President, Atheism UK.

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism and for the use of atheists who have registered on our web site as a Supporter of Atheism UK. Before you register as a Supporter, please note the following points:

Atheism UK is an organisation for convinced atheists. This web site serves as the public face of the organisation, as a resource for our members, and to communicate news, events and campaigns relevant to the advancement of atheism. Atheism UK is not an organisation for religious or ‘spiritual’ people. By becoming a Supporter of Atheism UK, you are declaring that you are an atheist and agree with our key Principles. The views expressed in this Forum are those of the individual authors and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Atheism UK.

Update 3rd December 2014 – Reminder: Our forum is for Atheists ONLY. Members should report theists on our forum to: contact@atheismuk.com. Theists will probably be banned without notice. 

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: 100% Faith Schools - time to speak out!

Alcuin
Administrator
100% Faith Schools - time to speak out!
on: January 15, 2019, 17:04

The Department for Education (DfE) recently launched a funding scheme which will allow a wave of 100% religiously selective state schools to open in England. These new schools, which are called Voluntary Aided (VA) schools, stand in contrast to all other new DfE-funded schools over the last ten years, which have been Free Schools that are only allowed to prioritise a maximum of 50% of their places on the basis of religion. 100% selection is not only discriminatory, but poses a significant threat to integration and social cohesion....
https://humanism.org.uk/campaigns/vaschools/

Three Legs-
and a-
Wheel
Neon
Re: 100% Faith Schools - time to speak out!
on: January 15, 2019, 17:31

So, it is now proposed that my taxes are going to be used to fund schools that teach unsubstantiated crap to the children of brain-washed adults so that the children can grow up into brain-washed adults too?

Dafq?

Alcuin
Administrator
on: January 25, 2019, 13:58

They not only teach "unsubstantiated crap" and encourage sectarianism, they don't deliver a fair education policy...
https://humanism.org.uk/2019/01/24/secondary-league-tables-unfairly-benefit-religious-schools-by-ignoring-pupil-backgrounds-say-academics/

Three Legs-
and a-
Wheel
Neon
on: January 31, 2019, 16:16

I wrote to my MP about 100% faith schools.

Here's his reply (I've removed his name to save the twat personal embarrassment):

Thank you for being in touch with your concerns.

All children deserve the best education, wherever they live and whatever their background. Every family should be able to access a good school.

I am pleased at the measures announced to create more places across the diverse school system, including through enabling the creation of more voluntary-aided faith schools, to give families greater choice and raise standards for pupils.

Faith schools have long been a part of the education system, and currently one in three state-funded schools are faith based. Many faith schools are good or outstanding, and are popular with parents. I know that more want to open, and I believe the Government should enable them to do so, so that we can continue to benefit from the richness of the diversity of our school system.

The Department for Education will help to create new voluntary-aided faith schools to meet local demand. The voluntary-aided route already allows for schools to apply to open with up to 100 per cent faith based admissions. It is important to note that when admitting pupils, faith schools may only use faith-based selection criteria if they are oversubscribed.

I appreciate your concerns but I can assure you that all schools are expected to fulfil their legal obligations under the Equality Act 2010, to promote community cohesion and to teach a broad and balanced curriculum. Indeed, faith schools, as with all other schools, are expected to be inclusive and play an active role in their communities, as well as promote integration and an understanding of different faiths and communities. I know the Department for Education will continue to work closely with faith schools to promote and support integration.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

With best wishes

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.048 seconds.