Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by everybody.

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Old Christian Attitudes (1961)

Alcuin
Administrator
Old Christian Attitudes (1961)
on: January 24, 2019, 20:11

I remember talking to an old, Scottish, WW1 soldier who had been shot but survived the conflict. I asked him if homosexuals would have been tolerated in 1914-18. He said they would have been, as "nobody discussed such things then". He added "you (a non-believer) wouldn't have been tolerated though". Perceived as an atheist, many early 20th Century Christians still confused religion with morality.

In this scene from Raisin in the Sun (1961), a Christian mother bullies her daughter...

It is interesting to consider what motivates the mother's behavior.

I was raised and educated as a Roman Catholic but realised very early that I didn't believe there's a god. Certainly not an Abrahamic or a Christian, 3-for-1 god. Naturally, I eventually felt compelled to say so. Although none of my siblings were believers (one may have been), everyone treated me as if I were the one causing the problem! Only one person in the family was an open "believer" but it was "causing trouble" just to say I didn't believe in god?! That was the attitude back then. I think most households take a healthier view now, but there is still much superstition. Even today, many people don't accept that Christianity is as much a man-made myth as the Roman or Greek deities. British religionists should have got that far, at the least. Shame on them. The development of all the Abrahamic religions is easily discovered and well recorded.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.054 seconds.