Forum

Update: 16th October 2018 – this Atheism UK (Mingle) forum will close on some Wednesdays between 9am-11.30am for tests to introduce a bbPress forum. Chris Street, President, Atheism UK.

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism and for the use of atheists who have registered on our web site as a Supporter of Atheism UK. Before you register as a Supporter, please note the following points:

Atheism UK is an organisation for convinced atheists. This web site serves as the public face of the organisation, as a resource for our members, and to communicate news, events and campaigns relevant to the advancement of atheism. Atheism UK is not an organisation for religious or ‘spiritual’ people. By becoming a Supporter of Atheism UK, you are declaring that you are an atheist and agree with our key Principles. The views expressed in this Forum are those of the individual authors and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Atheism UK.

Update 3rd December 2014 – Reminder: Our forum is for Atheists ONLY. Members should report theists on our forum to: contact@atheismuk.com. Theists will probably be banned without notice. 

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Say no to gods (and to drugs)

Alcuin
Administrator
Say no to gods (and to drugs)
on: March 30, 2019, 10:19

Just say "no"!

We can all empathise when people say things like "I know I'll see her again when it is my time to 'pass'. That is what keeps me going". The philanthropic work of religious organisations like the Salvation Army and Muslim aid charities are to be recognised and applauded.

That said, it should be recognised that there is no substantial, scientific evidence of an afterlife and every indication that 'belief' is no better founded than witchcraft or soothsaying. So, it should be seen as the superstition it is and neither organised religion nor even a god is necessary in order to "believe in" reincarnation or afterlife.

Philanthropy is probably better practised through essentially secular organisations like the Red Cross and Red Crescent. No need to attribute the motivation to a god or to religious beliefs. The urge to help our fellow beings is the same in the non-believer as it is in the superstitious.

So, just say "no" to gods and drugs. Say yes to truth and a healthy mind.

Three Legs-
and a-
Wheel
Calcium
Re: Say no to gods (and to drugs)
on: April 12, 2019, 14:41

Quote from Alcuin on March 30, 2019, 10:19
Just say "no"!

We can all empathise when people say things like "I know I'll see her again when it is my time to 'pass'. That is what keeps me going". The philanthropic work of religious organisations like the Salvation Army and Muslim aid charities are to be recognised and applauded.

That said, it should be recognised that there is no substantial, scientific evidence of an afterlife and every indication that 'belief' is no better founded than witchcraft or soothsaying. So, it should be seen as the superstition it is and neither organised religion nor even a god is necessary in order to "believe in" reincarnation or afterlife.

Philanthropy is probably better practised through essentially secular organisations like the Red Cross and Red Crescent. No need to attribute the motivation to a god or to religious beliefs. The urge to help our fellow beings is the same in the non-believer as it is in the superstitious.

So, just say "no" to gods and drugs. Say yes to truth and a healthy mind.

The problem with a number of religtardologies, especially, it seems, christardologies, is that it is all too often used as a smoke screen for illegal activities such as paedophilia. This is especially true of the cat licker church which, until recently, protected its paedophiles from the law. Religtardology is, all too often, also used to line the pockets of those at the top of the religtard food chain. Peter Popoff, for example, the televangelist, was exposed by James Randi, in 1986 for using an earpiece to receive radio messages from his wife, who gave him the names, addresses and ailments of audience members during Popoff-led religious services. Popoff falsely claimed God revealed this information to him so that Popoff could cure them by faith healing. Popoff was collecting almost $4 million per year in the late 1980s, according to Randi. In 2003, his ministry received over $9.6 million, and in 2005, over $23 million. In that year, he and his wife were paid a combined salary of nearly $1 million, while two of his children received over $180,000 each. Financial data is not available for Popoff's ministry after 2005 because Peter Popoff Ministries changed from a for-profit business to a religious organization the following year, making it tax-exempt. Popoff purchased a home in Bradbury, California, for $4.5 million in 2007. He drives a Porsche and a Mercedes-Benz.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.035 seconds.