Forum

Update: 16th October 2018 – this Atheism UK (Mingle) forum will close on some Wednesdays between 9am-11.30am for tests to introduce a bbPress forum. Chris Street, President, Atheism UK.

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism and for the use of atheists who have registered on our web site as a Supporter of Atheism UK. Before you register as a Supporter, please note the following points:

Atheism UK is an organisation for convinced atheists. This web site serves as the public face of the organisation, as a resource for our members, and to communicate news, events and campaigns relevant to the advancement of atheism. Atheism UK is not an organisation for religious or ‘spiritual’ people. By becoming a Supporter of Atheism UK, you are declaring that you are an atheist and agree with our key Principles. The views expressed in this Forum are those of the individual authors and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Atheism UK.

Update 3rd December 2014 – Reminder: Our forum is for Atheists ONLY. Members should report theists on our forum to: contact@atheismuk.com. Theists will probably be banned without notice. 

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Individualism vs collectivism.

Daniel-
stretton
Hydrogen
Individualism vs collectivism.
on: May 12, 2019, 15:34

As an atheist i pride myself on my individuality and espouse it whenever possible. This naturally leads me to oppose the goals of collective rights for religious organizations and groups but also it leads me to stand against other non-religious ideas and stances that are deeply rooted in collectivism.

This i feel leads to great divides within the atheist community as a whole and needs to be discussed frankly and openly to try and minimize the damage it cause and to understand everyone's standpoints on it. My goal in creating this post is to open up discussion and so build bridges.

First i want to lay out what i feel these non-religious collectivist ideas are so people can understand where i'm coming from and why i feel they are negative to society. collectivist ideas i feel value the rights of groups above that of the rights of individuals. you see this most prominently in the dominant culture at most universities today in which policies are crafted to prioritize certain group identifies over other people to try and create a more equal society normally at the expense of egalitarianism and equality of opportunity. A perfect example of this is how universities score applicants who want to do a course at the university. depending on the race, sex, gender identity and other boxes they will either lower or rise the required grade they need to be admitted to the course. This is at the excuse of trying to make things fairer for students of certain groups but from an individualistic perspective discriminates against certain individuals based on arbitrary characteristics that they cannot control. I would argue this is unjust and discriminatory.

This is just one example but I hope it can illustrate my thoughts on why basing groups rights over individual rights is wrong and hope people can create an interesting and reasonable discussion.

Alcuin
Administrator
Re: Individualism vs collectivism.
on: May 13, 2019, 15:23

Too true. Another (very different) example is faith schools. Polls consistently show that about 2 in 3 British people don't want them, but politicians run scared of the power of religious lobbies, such as the Catholic Parliamentary Office. James Arbuthnot MP famously said that he could only openly state his atheism when he left the Tory Party. In those cases, the collective power of organised religion or political party manage to nullify the wishes of the clear majority.

Even today, the latest poll in the USA indicates that only 60% of USAmericans would vote for an atheist for President.

Yes, individuality mustn't be subsumed by collectivism.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.