Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by everybody.

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Science and reason are not a "belief system"

Alcuin
Administrator
Science and reason are not a "belief system"
on: May 16, 2019, 19:57

A religionist wrote, "we (she and I) have different beliefs". Believing there is a god and believing there isn't is a false equivalence. Extraordinary claims (e.g. an Abrahamic god) require extraordinary evidence, (meaning an extraordinary level of evidence). Not believing an improbable claim doesn't require evidence.

The same religionist would probably agree that "belief in" witches, (i.e believing witches exist among us) is superstition and a result of ignorance. Belief in god(s) is essentially no different to believing witches exist. So, we don't just 'have different beliefs'. She is superstitious and ignorant, unable to prove her ridiculous claims, and I am not. I can however point to the known histories of Abramic religions which look comparable to the histories of Roman, Greek and Viking religions.

Three Legs-
and a-
Wheel
Calcium
Re: Science and reason are not a "belief system"
on: June 9, 2019, 17:11

Quote from Alcuin on May 16, 2019, 19:57
A religionist wrote, "we (she and I) have different beliefs". Believing there is a god and believing there isn't is a false equivalence. Extraordinary claims (e.g. an Abrahamic god) require extraordinary evidence, (meaning an extraordinary level of evidence). Not believing an improbable claim doesn't require evidence.

The same religionist would probably agree that "belief in" witches, (i.e believing witches exist among us) is superstition and a result of ignorance. Belief in god(s) is essentially no different to believing witches exist. So, we don't just 'have different beliefs'. She is superstitious and ignorant, unable to prove her ridiculous claims, and I am not. I can however point to the known histories of Abramic religions which look comparable to the histories of Roman, Greek and Viking religions.

The above arguments are LOGICALLY sound, of course, but presenting them to a christard, I have found, is a pointless exercise.

Let's face it, christards are illogical. If they weren't, they would follow the evidence and be forced to conclude, as would any sane and logical person, that neither god nor zombie boy jesus exist nor have they ever existed. The fact that christards conclude otherwise infers that they are illogical.

So, from where do christard beliefs in god and zombie boy jesus emanate and why? Well, it is probably from an EMOTIONAL need or from brain washing.

Presenting christards with logical arguments is therefore pointless since they will overrule your LOGICAL arguments with their EMOTIONAL ones and you will lose hands-down.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.043 seconds.