Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by atheists and others that have a non-religious worldview, who live in the UK

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Mums funeral.

steven k-
palmer
Neon
Mums funeral.
on: January 8, 2020, 15:19

Want to get something off my chest. My mum passed away last January after 2 years in a nursing home. I was abroad at the time, flew home and sorted out the funeral in a bit of a rush. She hadn't been religious at all since my kid brother was killed in a motorbike accident so I was looking about for some kind of a humanist funeral service. In the end though a good friend of mine, a hell raising blues guitarist and whiskey drinking hedonist back in the day, had found God later in life and become a preacher. He offered to run the funeral service and like a lazy shit I said yes. I told him not to overdo the holy stuff and he said don't worry he'd done plenty of secular funerals. Come the day though and it was all hymns and prayers qnd readings from the Bible. He meant well but it didnt feel right. Fortunately I got to say my piece in the service and made it clear I had no great expectation of seeing the old girl in any afterlife.
I feel bad that Mum's funeral was hijacked by my preacher friend' s bible bullshit but I guess that's what you get when you invite a pastor to do your funeral. I should have done the whole thing myself.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.079 seconds.