Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by atheists and others that have a non-religious worldview, who live in the UK

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: The Universe: Where did it come from? Where is it going?

Mr Stables
Hydrogen
The Universe: Where did it come from? Where is it going?
on: January 19, 2020, 23:22

I commented on another forum: 'The universe "must" be expanding into something'. I was advise to think differently about "must". I believe the universe is expanding into something. Humans would need to go 'outside' our own universe to see if this were true. I suspect this will actually be impossible. However, how do we know the universe we live in is not just a spec in the palm of a persons hand? I came close to death recently. Nothing happened, no light, no inspiration. Belief in God is presumably because no one has ever really experienced death and come back to tell the tale for over 2000 years (if at all). It's actually quite fun to think your universe is possibly a spec of dust on a persons palm, makes me smile to think of it like that.

Alcuin
Administrator
Re: The Universe: Where did it come from? Where is it going?
on: January 20, 2020, 22:28

The usual scenario I come across is a variation of the Blob Theory. How do we know that we aren't a blob that is simply imagining everything?! 🙂

Mr Stables
Hydrogen
Re: The Universe: Where did it come from? Where is it going?
on: January 21, 2020, 00:08

If that were the case we would have to have the capacity to imagine things already in existence in advance of us becoming aware of them. Once we see something, like a new house, or car, we have no reason to believe it not to be true. It is very possible we are imagining everything around us. Where does that imagination come from?

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.035 seconds.