The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Simulation Hypothesis: the best argument for God(s)

kennet
Calcium
Simulation Hypothesis: the best argument for God(s)
on: September 16, 2016, 13:33

I find the Simulation Hypothesis rather interesting. It instinctively feels uncovincing, but instinct is often not a good indicator of reality. If it did turn out we are all living in some kind of computer simulation, that means you could define the creator/programmer/designer of such a simulation as being "God". To my mind, of all the arguments for the possible existence of a God, this is easily the most reasonable and persuasive available. I wonder why more theists haven't lathed on to it.

Come to think of it, you could say that believing in God, and believing in the Simulation Hypothesis, are essentially the same thing. If God really did exist (on some so-called "higher reality" or whatever), then that would be logically equivalent to us being a simulation run by that God.

This does still lead to the obvious problem of "Who created the reality that God exists in?". Such a god would also not know whether they themselves were part of a yet lower level simulation, or whether they were at the fundamental level of reality. There could be an arbitrary number of level of realities, each with their "God" creators, none of whom know whether they are at the base, reality-level or not.

It doesn't really answer the fundamental question of how the ultimate, fundamental level of reality came about, so we are back to square one in that regard. But it's an interesting thing to think about nonetheless.

wheels5894
Calcium
Re: Simulation Hypothesis: the best argument for God(s)
on: September 20, 2016, 15:17

The problem with either god or simulation is that there is no way to if either actually exist. After all, if we were in a simulation we would have not way of escaping to to find out what was causing it. the same applies to any gods you care to think of - they are all, apparently (and, for theists, thankfully!) beyond a realm we can access so we have no way of knowing them either.

As to god - is it not supposed to be a Necessary being and so can justifiably be claimed yo have never begun to exist and thus does not need a cause or explanation. Well, that's what the philosophers think anyway and the Christian Evangelists like it too. To my mind, it is making stuff up to suit what was already believed but that's just me.

kennet
Calcium
on: September 22, 2016, 18:21

Well, unless the simulation has been constructed in such a way to inform us that we are in a simulation at some point. Perhaps if we achieve a certain level of advancement. Perhaps a big sign will appear, saying "Congratulations. You have completed Level 1" ­čÖé

Still, this is really only the equivalent of a God suddenly appearing in the sky and saying "haha, I do exist after all you know!"

I agree we can't really test it out the simulation hypothesis. Any experiments will only give the results that such a simulation has been programmed to give.

But I do quite like the humourous take on it from this comic:
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2535

Kuma
Hydrogen
on: November 26, 2016, 19:26

[b][/b]So who created the "creator/programmer/designer"?

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.043 seconds.