Forum

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism. This forum is for use by atheists and others that have a non-religious worldview, who live in the UK

Atheism UK also has a page and groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Where do you go when you die?

Graham-
Martin-Roy-
le
Calcium
Where do you go when you die?
on: June 6, 2014, 10:48

Seems like god's not sure either.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/god-wonders-what-happens-to-humans-after-they-die,36199/

russell20
Calcium
Re: Where do you go when you die?
on: June 6, 2014, 11:26

Brilliant thanks Graham and from the article....

“My view—take it or leave it—is that you can talk and argue as much as you want about death, but when it comes down to it, all anyone can do is guess what’s on the other side,” God Almighty said. “In the meantime, humans should enjoy themselves, try to live honestly, be good to one another, and make the most of their time on earth.”

Ahhhhh if only !!!!!!

Zool
Neon
on: December 4, 2014, 18:20

Pretty amusing (though not as good as half their other stuff imho - I guess that's fearing skating on thin ice for you! 😉 ).

Whilst absolutely 100% totally UNfunny, I've always held the view that 'you' don't really go anywhere when you die. Simply, the electricity stops flowing. I can be a little too nihilistic at times, I guess. *Cough*

I think I'll go and flick my light switch on and off for a while, see if I can work out where the light goes!
🙂

edit: I'm sure lots of atheists will share the same view above of course (or something similar). But it's got me thinking:

Could someone believe in ghosts and NOT be religious? They do seem like perfect bedfellows.

Graham-
Martin-Roy-
le
Calcium
on: December 5, 2014, 10:37

Zool, unfortunately, when people leave religion behind they don't always leave all the other superstitious nonsense behind. I have a very good friend who doesn't believe in gods but who does believe in ghosts, spirits, something "bigger" out there!

Zool
Neon
on: December 5, 2014, 23:30

On the subject of god and religion (and apologies for going more and more off-topic), I've always been of the opinion that god is merely a metaphor for: good, hope, eternity, infinity, the unknown, the collective human conscience and orgasm ( 😉 ). Oh, and lurve as well. And this way I'm more than happy to drop the odd god comment into everyday convos. Again, I assume a fair few rational people will think this way also.

MattR
Calcium
on: December 9, 2014, 12:15

Well God, ya big old lug, we're just worm food obviously. If it was any other way, then I'd have to think that you exist, in which case... nah, not possible.

When people who are sensitive about these things have asked me what I think, I've said something along the lines of "we and our actions do live on in other peoples' memories and characters". But of course that's a bit of a fudge. Memories fade and characters evolve with time. Within two or three generations most of us will be little more than the vaguest of concepts to a small handful of people. The exceptions are people like Constantine, Bach, Mao and Shakespeare. But even for them, there is no consolation. We may know their works, but we do not know the people. Even recently deceased celebrities like Hitler and Stalin are only really 'known' by a small number of elderly people, and soon there will be none. But even this piddling posterity is no real consolation. After all, Hitler and Stalin are dead, so how could they possibly benefit from knowing that at least their names are remembered?

I suppose I started thinking (i.e. worrying) about death around 10 years ago. Fortunately, shortly after that I started thinking that to end wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. I mean, there's still loads of stuff I intend to do, and it is a little irritating that I am never going to win that Noble Prize or (probably) never going to have dinner with Kim Basinger. But life so far has been pretty interesting, and it will be nioce to quit while I'm ahead.

At the same time I count myself lucky that God didn't decide to kill me when I was a kid. He does mysterious stuff like that, doesn't he?

MattR
Calcium
on: December 9, 2014, 12:23

Quote from Zool on December 5, 2014, 23:30
...I've always been of the opinion that god is merely a metaphor for: good, hope, eternity, infinity, the unknown, the collective human conscience and orgasm ( 😉 ). Oh, and lurve as well. And this way I'm more than happy to drop the odd god comment into everyday convos. Again, I assume a fair few rational people will think this way also.

I only say 'god' to people who know I am speaking with a small 'g' 🙂 I don't ever want to risk being mistaken for a believer!

DomingoDeS-
antaClara
Boron
on: January 24, 2015, 08:48

"Where do you go when you die?"

A hole in the ground or up in smoke are the only places i can think of off hand.

nino1970
Calcium
on: February 1, 2015, 15:32

i'm dead and would like to ask......"who the bloody hell is responsible for the plumbing here????"....after an eternity of feasting the few toilets provided are backed up and spilling waste over all the shiny golden towers!! it's a bloody outrage!!!

B Brown
Calcium
on: February 4, 2015, 20:29

My wife of 52 years died five months ago. She no longer exists and as a previous poster said her memory will only live on in the people who knew her until they die. Getting on alone as we were so close is not easy. I asked her to let me die before her as I knew what it would be like. Accepting someone's death is about the only thing we can do f all about. As she no longer exists at least she does not know what I am going through. A close Christian friend tells me she is watching me from heaven. Well A she wasn't a Christian and B there must be about 100 billion other dead humans having a nose as well. If there is an after life I hope I can opt out because I loved my wife on this earth and for all her humanity. A lot of the joy in life was coping with everything that life faces us with together. God can go screw himself.

nino1970
Calcium
on: February 10, 2015, 14:30

I am sorry to hear your news and can not imagine the heartache this has brought you. Like most here there is very little solace in the idea of those we loved continuing in the memories of those they touched or the actions they took while alive. This is why we should live each day as fully as we can and with as much joy and enthusiasm as we can muster. We are a long time dead and though religion would have us stand apathetic to this truth, with the promise of an eternity with the sky fairies, true acceptance of this fact can allow us to spend our short time here more wisely.

BlueRoux
Calcium
on: February 11, 2015, 23:13

The Buddha, when presented with such loaded questions, asked his interlocutor where a fire went when it burned out.

B Brown
Calcium
on: February 17, 2015, 18:45

Thanks for your support Nino. I am trying to live for the day and have lots of friends and family supporting. I play national tennis, local bowls and most Sundays go to Cambridge
Humanists get togethers.
Life has left a whole and I am trying to fill it.
Thanks

Fitz
Boron
on: November 28, 2019, 16:38

Quote from B Brown on February 4, 2015, 20:29
My wife of 52 years died five months ago. She no longer exists and as a previous poster said her memory will only live on in the people who knew her until they die. Getting on alone as we were so close is not easy. I asked her to let me die before her as I knew what it would be like. Accepting someone's death is about the only thing we can do f all about. As she no longer exists at least she does not know what I am going through. A close Christian friend tells me she is watching me from heaven. Well A she wasn't a Christian and B there must be about 100 billion other dead humans having a nose as well. If there is an after life I hope I can opt out because I loved my wife on this earth and for all her humanity. A lot of the joy in life was coping with everything that life faces us with together. God can go screw himself.

He certainly can screw himself! another benefit of omnipotence.... So - we're made in his image and we can't even lick our own balls! When I was a believer I always thought he had a nasty sense of humour. That thought occurred unfailingly when I sat down on the crapper.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.13 seconds.