The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: FGM summit: Cameron calls for end in this generation

russell20
Calcium
FGM summit: Cameron calls for end in this generation
on: July 23, 2014, 04:24

Not before time there now appears to be a growing consensus and momentum to end this revolting and wholly religious practice.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28412179

MattR
Calcium
Re: FGM summit: Cameron calls for end in this generation
on: August 20, 2014, 17:52

Not sure that it is wholly religious. I wouldn't be surprised if a trip in a time-machine found ancient humans practising it just because it seemed like a good way of keeping a valuable possession (your daughter) under your control. However, you do have to ask if it would have been able to endure this long if not enthusiastically backed by the men in dresses.

It will be fascinating to see how the police and our Government manage to avoid pointing out that only Muslims are practising it in our country, once the necessary convictions start racking up, and how quickly they manage to suspend further prosecutions once they feel a sufficient token gesture has been made.

I wonder how many women will approach the police to lodge complaints. Statistically not many, for various obvious reasons, but surely there will be dozens out of the thousands of victims of FGM that must be in the UK.

wheels5894
Calcium
Re: FGM summit: Cameron calls for end in this generation
on: August 20, 2014, 19:01

I suspect this is really going to be taken as a child protection issue so I would expect to see more of families being stopped from taking young girls to countries that practice FGM - and perhaps checking girls coming back from such countries - rather than anything else. After all, prosecutions or not, once the procedure has been done it's too late. Preventing girls from being cut is what is needed.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.055 seconds.