The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Warning: Illegal string offset 'signature' in /homepages/20/d676116640/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/mingle-forum/wpf.class.php on line 911

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Police in Bristol area investigating more FGM cases each year.

russell20
Calcium
Police in Bristol area investigating more FGM cases each year.
on: August 7, 2014, 19:06

Another investigation by the Police into FGM in my hometown, however, on this occasion they are taking a more proactive approach and are including other agencies and interested parties in their ongoing investigations. But they are still facing huge difficulties in prosecuting offenders.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Police-Bristol-area-investigating-FGM-cases-year/story-22213023-detail/story.html

Sempsy
Calcium
Re: Police in Bristol area investigating more FGM cases each year.
on: August 7, 2014, 19:44

Am I ok to abbreviate "about fucking time" to abft??!

russell20
Calcium
on: August 7, 2014, 19:46

Quote from Sempsy on August 7, 2014, 19:44
Am I ok to abbreviate "about fucking time" to abft??!

Of course and you are right to do so.

Calcium
on: August 8, 2014, 12:53

Investigating, but still no prosecutions!

AdamZain
Calcium
on: August 9, 2014, 17:52

At school we had genital checks. We all lined up outside the nurse's room and they had a quick butchers. I assume the girls went through the same rather bizarre little ritual. (They never said what they were checking for - I wondered whether they thought we'd scrawled exam answers on our bits, but I expect it was something medical). So, anyway, make that a compulsory part of school for all pupils and then prosecute the parents of any child who has been mutilated. Problem solved.

AdamZain
Calcium
on: August 9, 2014, 17:55

Also, how about if your children have been mutilated in the past, you have to report it, and help identify the person(s) responsible, so that police here or abroad can take action. If you fail to report it, you will be considered to be the person responsible for the mutilation and will be charged with the crime. Problem solved again.

Sempsy
Calcium
on: August 14, 2014, 19:43

Not sure what school you went to where they carried out genital checks - was Jimmy Saville involved??!! Pretty sure even in the 70's that wouldn't have been allowed....

However, ALL doctors, medical staff and care workers should be able to report SUSPECTED GM and ALL cases should then be followed up with a medical examination and followed up with police interviews (under caution). Any religious requirements should be summarily dismissed as should any false claims of "medical requirement" - no quacks allowed. If any family has a history of GM, then all of their children should be checked and the offenders should be punished with a prison sentence and forced to sign the sex offenders register for a minimum of 15 years. There should also be some control over foreign travel where the practice may be carried out under pseudo-medical grounds....

(Edited for spelling twice, victim of the urgency to publish I'm afraid to admit. Needy bastard!)

Virtus83
Calcium
on: August 14, 2014, 21:15

Save the taxpayer money and the police valuable time, just swing the bastards from a yard arm.

I'm lacking empathy today in case you hadn't noticed. ­čś»

wheels5894
Calcium
on: August 15, 2014, 10:04

I'm puzzled. Surely if a girl is found to have had the procedure, they there is a prima facia case against them for allowing it.

Virtus83
Calcium
on: August 15, 2014, 23:26

If the child is below 16 (hence being a child), then the parents are legally responsible. Surely that is end of story???

Sempsy
Calcium
on: August 21, 2014, 19:57

Quote from Virtus83 on August 15, 2014, 23:26
If the child is below 16 (hence being a child), then the parents are legally responsible. Surely that is end of story???

Our imman said we had to do it on medical grounds and that he was medically qualified to not only diagnose this but to carry out the procedure as well...

wheels5894
Calcium
on: August 21, 2014, 21:51

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

AdamZain
Calcium
on: August 21, 2014, 23:31

There were health checks at both primary and secondary school - the general physical was at secondary level - carried out by the school nurse and possibly a visiting female doctor. The genital bit was probably no more than half a second - a very quick look presumably just to check for obvious infections/abnormalities. Health checks are, according to NHS, still standard practice in schools - though I don't know about the general physical these days. Don't know whether there was the option to opt out for the parents in those days, as there is today. I personally think a child has an absolute right to proper medical care and there should be no opt-out for parents. FGM could be picked up by this system, and it would have the advantage of providing a level of health care for children who are not being looked after properly at home.

Quote from Sempsy on August 14, 2014, 19:43
Not sure what school you went to where they carried out genital checks - was Jimmy Saville involved??!! Pretty sure even in the 70's that wouldn't have been allowed....

However, ALL doctors, medical staff and care workers should be able to report SUSPECTED GM and ALL cases should then be followed up with a medical examination and followed up with police interviews (under caution). Any religious requirements should be summarily dismissed as should any false claims of "medical requirement" - no quacks allowed. If any family has a history of GM, then all of their children should be checked and the offenders should be punished with a prison sentence and forced to sign the sex offenders register for a minimum of 15 years. There should also be some control over foreign travel where the practice may be carried out under pseudo-medical grounds....

(Edited for spelling twice, victim of the urgency to publish I'm afraid to admit. Needy bastard!)

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.11 seconds.