Forum

Update: 16th October 2018 – this Atheism UK (Mingle) forum will close on some Wednesdays between 9am-11.30am for tests to introduce a bbPress forum. Chris Street, President, Atheism UK.

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism and for the use of atheists who have registered on our web site as a Supporter of Atheism UK. Before you register as a Supporter, please note the following points:

Atheism UK is an organisation for convinced atheists. This web site serves as the public face of the organisation, as a resource for our members, and to communicate news, events and campaigns relevant to the advancement of atheism. Atheism UK is not an organisation for religious or ‘spiritual’ people. By becoming a Supporter of Atheism UK, you are declaring that you are an atheist and agree with our key Principles. The views expressed in this Forum are those of the individual authors and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Atheism UK.

Update 3rd December 2014 – Reminder: Our forum is for Atheists ONLY. Members should report theists on our forum to: contact@atheismuk.com. Theists will probably be banned without notice. 

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Help writing a leaflet to counter the religious ones I get through my door

bennysteve-
s
Hydrogen
Help writing a leaflet to counter the religious ones I get through my door
on: September 9, 2014, 00:21

I live in a fairly heavily religious area of London, and I keep getting Christian and Islamic leaflets through the door telling me I'm going hell for not believing in them. I am putting together a counter leaflet which I will distribute around the area and especially in the spots where these other ones appear. It's called Love is my religion. I would like it to be fairly positive and make some solid arguments that aren't just the usual god is bollocks stuff, atleast enough to test their faith or make them think.

I would love some contributors or just some ideas on how to improve it.

Lemme know....

MattR
Calcium
Re: Help writing a leaflet to counter the religious ones I get through my door
on: September 11, 2014, 18:48

Sorry, perhaps I'm feeling particularly cynical today, but the main message that springs to mind is a negative one: we're all going to die and that is an end of everything.

I know that a 'positive' spin can be attached to that: death is necessary for the next generation, or we might as well make the most of this life, etc...

But the principle reason for being an atheist is unavoidably that it is infinitely more likely to be true than believing in gods. I don't think atheism has anything to match 'you're going to live in eternal bliss' or 'you'll get your very own 72 virgins'.

I hope someone else here has a more positive message, but at the moment I can only think that logic and evidence beats the religious, not happy thoughts.

Sempsy
Calcium
Re: Help writing a leaflet to counter the religious ones I get through my door
on: September 11, 2014, 19:28

I'd probably go down the route of parodying their leaflets and filling it with their own contradictions, or alternatively go for the "we support zeus" (or some other long forgotten/ridiculed god, but tint it with the modern day "spin" you get in the junk mail the others are giving you... pointing out the stupidity of their claims....

Good luck and take care when you go round posting the leaflets - especially when you get to the muzzie areas!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.044 seconds.