The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Warning: Illegal string offset 'signature' in /homepages/20/d676116640/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/mingle-forum/wpf.class.php on line 911

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Ben Affleck

MattR
Calcium
Ben Affleck
on: October 6, 2014, 12:13

Islam has a new champion in Hollywood:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11141733/Ben-Affleck-in-passionate-defence-of-Islam-on-Bill-Maher-show.html

Seems Ben was upset by Bill Maher and Sam Harris being critical of Islam. I'll summarise:

Maher/Harris: Islam has some bad ideas and lots of Muslims believe bad things.
Affleck: That's Islamophobic.

Calcium
Re: Ben Affleck
on: October 6, 2014, 16:32

Yeah, pretty pathetic really. He wasn't listening at all to what they said, typical liberal lefty he just wants to support all those poor muslims who are being demonised by the west with their islamaphobic attitudes. Makes me ashamed to be a left winger, having idiots like him around.

russell20
Calcium
on: October 6, 2014, 19:55

For anyone wanting to see the debate here it is. Be warned though Affleck does not improve, because whilst championing moderate Islam he neglects to mention that misogyny, anti-gay prejudice, and the infallibility of the qu'ran are subjects that are rarely, if ever, discussed by the moderate wing of Islam. Oh and that ISIS are actually following the dictates of the qu'ran.

MattR
Calcium
on: October 8, 2014, 09:03

Quote from Graham Martin-Royle on October 6, 2014, 16:32
...He wasn't listening at all to what they said, typical liberal lefty he just wants to support all those poor muslims who are being demonised by the west with their islamaphobic attitudes. Makes me ashamed to be a left winger, having idiots like him around.

I think Affleck is a particular brand of 'liberal lefty' rather than typical. I consider myself a lefty, and certainly a liberal. But I recognise a certain type of person in Affleck's response. It's the person that is determined to be 'right on' regardless of the facts, and who thinks that shouting down their opponents is a demonstration of how passionate and righteous they are in their own beliefs.

It's painfully ironic (in the generally accepted sense) that these types are so concerned to appear open-minded and liberal, but what they actually end up doing is indirectly helping a closed-minded, radically illiberal creed to thrive and supress the values that real liberals consider so important.

I sympathise to an extent with Affleck. I understand how frustrating it can be to be in an environment largely dictated by a popular media (e.g. The Daily Mail in the UK or Fox News in the US) that consistently demonises minorities. But it is obviously, clearly, simply wrong to conflate people like Bill Maher and Sam Harris with Paul Dacre and Bill O'Reilly. I actually find Harris far too 'American' and self-regarding for my liking, but what he says is true and carefully considered. People like Affleck should listen. And if he thinks Harris is an outsider unnecessarily demonising muslims, he should listen to the Council of Ex Muslims of Britain. They could confirm to him what Islam is really about and what it means to ordinary muslims.

Virtus83
Calcium
on: October 12, 2014, 21:36

Is he going to convert now to show us how wrong we all are?? Knob-head.

He isn't allowed in the Scientology club because he lacks the fame necessary,
so he want's to kiss Islam's ass and buy himself a shoe-in so he can be all
"devout" and all that other useless pandering cack.

spelk
Neon
on: October 15, 2014, 23:52

I have an affinity with Affleck in terms of some of the films he has done, and his close relationship with the director Kevin Smith, but, here he seems ignorant to the point of obscenity. All I can see is an aging actor trying to champion some "liberal" stance against atheists to pump him up to the top of the newsfeeds in time for his Batman stint. He's standing up for the rights of all etc... bullshit. He won't even let Sam or Bill get a word in edgeways, often interrupting any comment they have to address his prior unfounded outrage, with more out of context outrage. From a man who dons a pair of angel wings and smirks in the face of Christianity with relish.

It seems to me, if he points the finger at atheists he wins the Christian support for his career and if he makes it an Islamic crusade (yes, I know) he wins the more moderate/westernised Islamic support, for his career. All I saw was a noisy actor mouth off, and gesticulate unnecessarily, to try and boost his career with "liberal" credibility, planting his bat boots into both religion camps at the same time.

Shame really, I was one of the very few people who liked him in Daredevil.

If Affleck had been missing from the panel, we would have actually had some debate.

Stephen
Calcium
on: October 16, 2014, 07:15

Affleck is an arse but no worse or better than a load of other celebrities. Unfortunately celebrities worm their way on to television like religionists, popping up to give their unbalanced, un-thought out and unwanted opinions on subjects there are often not knowledgeable enough about to make rational decisions.

A lot of opinion on TV is so useless it would make as much sense to pick a road-sweeper, hair-dresser or office worker at random for their comment, they may even make more senses than the celebrities and religionists who all have an overdose of self-importance.

Der Zeit ihre Kunst. Der Kunst ihre Freiheit.

Alcuin
on: October 16, 2014, 11:34

I'm as appalled at the use of the term liberal here. I remember when conservatives were proud to be liberals too. Just another example of the evolution of language, or the way the USA corrupts it, one or the two.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.132 seconds.