Forum

Update: 16th October 2018 – this Atheism UK (Mingle) forum will close on some Wednesdays between 9am-11.30am for tests to introduce a bbPress forum. Chris Street, President, Atheism UK.

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism and for the use of atheists who have registered on our web site as a Supporter of Atheism UK. Before you register as a Supporter, please note the following points:

Atheism UK is an organisation for convinced atheists. This web site serves as the public face of the organisation, as a resource for our members, and to communicate news, events and campaigns relevant to the advancement of atheism. Atheism UK is not an organisation for religious or ‘spiritual’ people. By becoming a Supporter of Atheism UK, you are declaring that you are an atheist and agree with our key Principles. The views expressed in this Forum are those of the individual authors and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Atheism UK.

Update 3rd December 2014 – Reminder: Our forum is for Atheists ONLY. Members should report theists on our forum to: contact@atheismuk.com. Theists will probably be banned without notice. 

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: LAAG announce Ministry of Reason!

crabsallov-
er
Administrator
LAAG announce Ministry of Reason!
on: October 27, 2014, 11:55

London Atheist Activist Group (LAAG) announce Ministry of Reason (MoR). LAAG say "Why do we need MoR? The UK has a 'Ministry for Faith & Communities'. We wondered why these necessarily go together! And what about REASON? i.e. evidence-based thinking. Let's use MoR as a fun and flexible name, to highlight the disparity and inequality." (source: http://www.meetup.com/London-Atheist-Activist-Group-friendly-community/events/185400992/?a=ea2_grp&rv=ea2&_af_eid=185400992&_af=event Meetup)

A LAAG http://www.meetup.com/London-Atheist-Activist-Group-friendly-community/events/185400992/?a=ea2_grp&rv=ea2&_af_eid=185400992&_af=event meeting in London on Friday 21st November will launch MoR, discuss priorities and form the team and structure. Atheism UK Council members will attend this meeting. We hope to see you there!

MOR remit is "To enact positive change through a peaceful, civil & forthright approach. In order to stop harm, it will challenge faith as a whole (non-evidence-based thinking of every description) - not just religion but also official ratification of non-evidence based practices in medicine, law, education etc. It's aims are to reaching those who are being let down, to help to bring about a more reasoned, fair, harmonious society through frank and adult discussion. With the same laws for all. Will you be part of it ?" (source: http://www.meetup.com/London-Atheist-Activist-Group-friendly-community/events/185400992/?a=ea2_grp&rv=ea2&_af_eid=185400992&_af=event Meetup)

Chris Street, President, Atheism UK

Chris Street
President, AtheismUK

Sue Cox
Hydrogen
Re: LAAG announce Ministry of Reason!
on: October 27, 2014, 12:57

Sounds great Hope to be there! Certainly want to be part of this!

Nidjit
Hydrogen
on: October 27, 2014, 13:42

Gutted I can't make this one, but what a wonderful idea! Would love to be involved in this.

Alcuin
Administrator
on: October 27, 2014, 16:55

Sadly, I can't get there either.

paulmoore
Hydrogen
on: October 27, 2014, 19:42

Why on earth did they have to use the word 'Ministry'? The idea is good, but the word 'Ministry' definitely has religious overtones or, at the very least, will make people think that it has something to do with religion. Just because the UK has a 'Ministry for Faith & Communities' doesn't mean to say that we have to adopt the word 'Ministry' to compete. Surely they could have come up with something more original and appropriate than 'Ministry of Reason'. Perhaps 'Society of Reason' would have been better.

crabsallov-
er
Administrator
on: October 27, 2014, 22:04

Richard G of Atheism UK Council said today - call it 'Ministry of Atheism'.

Chris Street
President, AtheismUK

crabsallov-
er
Administrator
on: October 28, 2014, 07:36

Quote from Sue Cox on October 27, 2014, 12:57
Sounds great Hope to be there! Certainly want to be part of this!

Hi Sue,
Really great to see you here! (Sue and I spoke at the Cambridge Union debate earlier this year opposing the motion that "the Catholic Church is a force for good")

Everybody - Take the Survey to see how you can assist. Ministry of Reason say "Whether you support in principle or might be able to help in some way, it would be very helpful if you could please complete this short questionnaire": https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6SHKQGQ

Chris Street
President, AtheismUK

oneatheist
Neon
on: October 28, 2014, 10:38

Great idea, I'll be there. Don't worry about the name Paul, I doubt many now associate "Ministry" with anything other than government. The immediate link had disappeared in my mind.

Hydrogen
on: October 28, 2014, 14:43

This is all wrong. This organization makes itself a stooge of the establishment by seeking to have a place within its structure, when the establishment that rules our world is an absolute theocracy, for we live in a world where there is no free access to true knowledge (evidence based knowledge) as a basis for our idea of who we are, and hence no freedom of thought or expression. You want an institution based on rational thought, but you would not know a rational idea if it slapped you in the face, because you are programmed with irrational ideas masquerading as science to suit the religious establishment. Try a rational idea or two, and see if you recognise rationality when you see it, albeit not what official pundits say is rational :

Science and religion cannot coexist. A scientist cannot believe in God. The human animal is a superorganism. The individual person does not exist (as an end in themselves).

What you should be seeking as a campaigning atheist organization, is the destruction of our society as it exists, and has existed, unchanged, relative to atheism, for millennia, not membership of it ; the eradication of sterile science, as in Darwinism, and the establishment of true science, atheist science you might say. But do you get this ? No, so that makes you as mindless as any religious person ever could be.

russell20
Calcium
on: October 28, 2014, 15:23

Well are'nt you an absolute delight your post is just one long insult without any explanatory definitions. So please explain what you mean by the "sterility" of the Darwinian model ? What do you consider "true science" ? and explain this "A scientist cannot believe in God." in relation to Newton ?

russell20
Calcium
on: October 28, 2014, 15:39

Quote from Howard on October 28, 2014, 14:43
This is all wrong. This organization makes itself a stooge of the establishment by seeking to have a place within its structure, when the establishment that rules our world is an absolute theocracy, for we live in a world where there is no free access to true knowledge (evidence based knowledge) as a basis for our idea of who we are, and hence no freedom of thought or expression. You want an institution based on rational thought, but you would not know a rational idea if it slapped you in the face, because you are programmed with irrational ideas masquerading as science to suit the religious establishment. Try a rational idea or two, and see if you recognise rationality when you see it, albeit not what official pundits say is rational :

Science and religion cannot coexist. A scientist cannot believe in God. The human animal is a superorganism. The individual person does not exist (as an end in themselves).

What you should be seeking as a campaigning atheist organization, is the destruction of our society as it exists, and has existed, unchanged, relative to atheism, for millennia, not membership of it ; the eradication of sterile science, as in Darwinism, and the establishment of true science, atheist science you might say. But do you get this ? No, so that makes you as mindless as any religious person ever could be.

I have decided to copy your entire dreary post to prevent you from editing and or modifying it. So please go ahead and explain to us the "mindless" what rationality is as far as you are concerned ? Before you do that though could you first answer the questions posed in post 9 on the previous page.

Sempsy
Calcium
on: October 30, 2014, 19:50

Obviously a post from the "sinistry" of contradiction

russell20
Calcium
on: October 31, 2014, 00:34

Maybe so Sempsy, but that would imply a modicum of intelligence on his part. I think that it is more likely that he is a second rate troll whose only reason for posting was to irritate and annoy.

crabsallov-
er
Administrator
on: October 31, 2014, 18:51

Ministry of Reason (MoR) http://goo.gl/XQ8hbT challenge the idea that faith, in itself, is a virtue. MoR challenge faith (non-evidence-based thinking) as a whole - not just religious faith - but also non-evidenced faith based practices in medicine, law and education.

MoR manage Joy of Reason centres to help religious people appreciate that an evidence-based approach to life can be joyful. MoR also manage Support centres staffed by therapists to help victims leave religion. These centres will organise Critical Thinking events to inspire religious people and spark their curiosity.

Take the MoR questionnaire https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6SHKQGQ and attend an initial MoR consultation meeting on Friday 21st November in London: http://goo.gl/XQ8hbT

Chris Street
President, AtheismUK

crabsallov-
er
Administrator
on: October 31, 2014, 19:03

Quote from Sempsy on October 30, 2014, 19:50

Obviously a post from the "sinistry" of contradiction

'Howard' now removed from this forum.

Chris Street
President, AtheismUK

crabsallov-
er
Administrator
on: November 2, 2014, 14:26

I have made a page https://www.atheismuk.com/activists-2/laag/ on the Ministry of Reason on this website. What do you think of it?

Chris Street
President, AtheismUK

russell20
Calcium
on: November 2, 2014, 18:15

A well written and informative article but MoR is still in London and I am still in Bristol so I am not sure how I can help. Except I could perhaps promote it on the UK based atheist FB pages. In fact I'll do that now.

crabsallov-
er
Administrator
on: November 15, 2014, 02:56

Quote from russell20 on November 2, 2014, 18:15
A well written and informative article but MoR is still in London and I am still in Bristol so I am not sure how I can help. Except I could perhaps promote it on the UK based atheist FB pages. In fact I'll do that now.

London Atheist Activist Group (LAAG) intend Ministry of Reason (MoR) to go nationwide, not stay in the capital. Atheism UK members will attend the 21st November London launch meeting (https://www.facebook.com/events/338684506306091/?ref=ts&fref=ts) and we will assist LAAG in their MoR nationwide rollout.

Chris Street
President, AtheismUK

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.129 seconds.