The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Warning: Illegal string offset 'signature' in /homepages/20/d676116640/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/mingle-forum/wpf.class.php on line 911

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: is richard dawkins married without a church?

ark200
Boron
is richard dawkins married without a church?
on: November 22, 2014, 15:22

richard dawkins married 3 times: first with Marian stamp in Ireland, next eva bertham in oxford and lastly lala ward inkensington and chelsea. are all these marriages taking place without a church? is that true?

russell20
Calcium
Re: is richard dawkins married without a church?
on: November 22, 2014, 16:56

No idea and it's not really important enough to try and find out whether it's true or not either. Also, and this may come as a surprise to you, just because Dawkins is an atheist it does'nt necessarily follow that we know him personally, or have any interest in his personal life.

Calcium
on: November 22, 2014, 19:52

Not a clue, does it matter? A church or other religious place isn't needed to get married legally so, if he did get married without church ceremonies, his marriages would still be legal as far as UK law is concerned. Personally, I don't really care.

ark200
Boron
on: November 23, 2014, 03:02

you know why it is important. Richard dawkins said god is a delusion and if he married in church that means that he wants god (a delusion according to him) to become witness of his marriage which is quite contradictory in view. i want to know if he is a real atheist or not.

i am not a supporter of the superstition that marriage should be done in church, with some kind of religious ceremony. i am a secular humanist. i just want to know how atheist dawkins actually is.

ark200
Boron
on: November 23, 2014, 03:03

also marriage should be separated from religion according to me. it must be a secular activity.

russell20
Calcium
on: November 23, 2014, 04:38

If Dawkins marriage ceremonies concern you that much then Google is your friend, as for his commitment to atheism / secularism you are the only person ( as far as I am aware ) that has ever questioned that. So why don't you visit his web-site

https://richarddawkins.net/

And his foundations you tube page

http://goo.gl/TVHdGk

And then read your way through any of his books

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/1194.Richard_Dawkins

And then you can judge for yourself whether, in your opinion, he is a "real atheist" or not. As far as I am concerned, however, his record speaks for itself in that regard.

barfly123
Calcium
on: November 23, 2014, 10:24

I know nothing about hi
s personal life and care even less I enjoyed his books and some of his tv programes anything else as far as I am concerned is not really worth bothering about

russell20
Calcium
on: November 23, 2014, 11:11

Quote from barfly123 on November 23, 2014, 10:24
I know nothing about hi
s personal life and care even less I enjoyed his books and some of his tv programes anything else as far as I am concerned is not really worth bothering about

Seconded

dereck 135
Boron
on: November 23, 2014, 14:32

I'm married mainly because my wife wanted to get married, I insisted on a non church marriage and also no religious connotations or quotes from the ladies who put us together. No problem worked for me I would assume Mr Dawkins went down a similar route.
Dereck

Stephen
Calcium
on: November 24, 2014, 12:42

Slightly OT but to do with Register Office marriages. I do not know if this is the case everywhere but at my local place the refuse to allow any music with religious connotations. I find this ridiculous and deny the partners involved some rights. I enjoy a lot of music that was written for the church, it was the only way many composers could make a living, but enjoy the tune and ignore the religion.

If two people have a favourite piece of music they should be able to play it at their wedding.

Der Zeit ihre Kunst. Der Kunst ihre Freiheit.

Alcuin
Administrator
on: November 25, 2014, 14:28

Quote from ark200 on November 23, 2014, 03:02
you know why it is important.

I do? I didn't know that.

Richard dawkins said god is a delusion and if he married in church that means that he wants god (a delusion according to him) to become witness of his marriage which is quite contradictory in view.

Not at all. I have no idea whether he got married in a church, nor do I care about his personal life but perhaps his bride wanted to get married in church or a million other reasons. Why pick the highly improbable assumption that he means nothing he has said and secretly wanted to get married in a church?

i want to know if he is a real atheist or not.

If you don't know that Dawkins is atheist you presumably doubt the Pope is Roman Catholic. I think the Pope is more likely to be a hypocrite unless he really does believe in the holy ghost, transubstantiation and exorcism. Is anyone really quite that dim? Or do they have other motives for apparently believing such nonsense?

i am not a supporter of the superstition that marriage should be done in church, with some kind of religious ceremony. i am a secular humanist. i just want to know how atheist dawkins actually is.

As advised - look it up.

I generally identify with Richard Dawkins and I don't think he's interested in religion/atheism. I'm not either. As he says, he doesn't believe in fairies either but he doesn't call himself and 'afairyist'! 🙂 Like me he just objects to superstition, religious courts, child genital mutilation, clerical privilege (such as bishops in the Lords) and the other problems religion causes or tends to defend. He did much to highlight the problems of creationism in British schools.

Part of the value of atheist and humanist groups is their criticisms of superstitions (including religion) and the problems such beliefs and tribalism cause. Humanist and secular societies offer positive alternatives. I don't call myself an atheist. That is what believers call me.

MattR
Calcium
on: November 25, 2014, 14:52

I generally identify with Richard Dawkins and I don't think he's interested in religion/atheism. I'm not either. As he says, he doesn't believe in fairies either but he doesn't call himself and 'afairyist'! 🙂 Like me he just objects to superstition, religious courts, child genital mutilation, clerical privilege (such as bishops in the Lords) and the other problems religion causes or tends to defend. He did much to highlight the problems of creationism in British schools.

Well said! Is it just me, or did the OP sound like it was a fishing expedition by a god botherer, pretending to be an innocent enquiry? How could anyone other than a Snackbarian or an Anencephalic Godite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_slurs) seriously doubt Dawkins's non-belief???

russell20
Calcium
on: November 25, 2014, 18:34

Quote from MattR on November 25, 2014, 14:52

Well said! Is it just me, or did the OP sound like it was a fishing expedition by a god botherer, pretending to be an innocent enquiry? How could anyone other than a Snackbarian or an Anencephalic Godite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_slurs) seriously doubt Dawkins's non-belief???

Good point I had'nt thought of that angle re Dawkins non belief, but he is not the first to arrive here and ask about Dawkins in a way that suggests we are all members of the same club and we all know him personally. When it is pointed out that we don't, their final remark usually suggests that they don't believe us.

PeteStarr
Neon
on: April 6, 2015, 11:52

you know why it is important. Richard dawkins said god is a delusion and if he married in church that means that he wants god (a delusion according to him) to become witness of his marriage which is quite contradictory in view. i want to know if he is a real atheist or not.

If you're an atheist a church is just a building therefore getting married in one has no bearing on anything! I got married in a Catholic cathedral and emerged from the experience with my atheism unscathed.

I really think you need to think this through a bit more...

Edit: on reflection I think MattR's point is spot on and this chap is an agent provocateur - fortunately not a very subtle one though!

Cider
Calcium
on: December 29, 2017, 09:56

Being an Atheist doesn't mean you cannot enter a religious temple of any description!. I personally think the magnificent buildings erected to these imaginary gods are mind boggling in their architecture and complexity!.(albeit a completely pointless undertaking). I also attend marriages and funerals (in said edifices), out of respect for the people concerned!. What I don't do is pray (a pointless activity at any time) also out of respect, I don't challenge the priests to prove their god/s exist!, time & place for everything in life!!. Anyway I already know the answer to that question!!, as do all Atheists!!.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.133 seconds.