The Atheism UK (Mingle) Forum closed on 16th November 2020. Instead, Atheism UK has a page and two groups on Facebook.

Warning: Illegal string offset 'signature' in /homepages/20/d676116640/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/mingle-forum/wpf.class.php on line 911

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: UKIPMake sense???

Calcium
UKIPMake sense???
on: November 26, 2014, 09:51

I don't particularly like UKIP and just about never agree with anything they say but, in this instance, what they are saying is correct. Lord Pearson made a comment in the HofL saying that the murderers of Lee Rigby were inspired by the koran and muslims needed to address the violence in the koran and in the life of its prophet.

Needless to say, everyone else is now condemning him for islamaphobia and proclaiming islam to be a religion of peace. When will these people get it, the koran is a book stuffed full with violence and it can be used to excuse some really horrific acts. These people are muslims and it is wrong to claim that they are not. Just because there are those whose interpretation of this vile book is peaceful does not mean that their interpretation is correct, anymore than those who claim that the Phelps clan are wrong in their interpretation of the bible.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/25/ukip-lord-pearson-quran-lee-rigby-murder

Alcuin
Re: UKIPMake sense???
on: November 26, 2014, 11:11

True enough. There's no such thing as 'true Islam'. Islam is nonsense. Like Christianity, it is whatever cult followers say it is.

And the problem with UKIP is that they are arguably right when they say that it's in the UK interest for immigration from the EU to be controlled in the same way as immigration from the commonwealth, of which we are also a member. It is EU immigration that is out of control. Mainstream parties are losing support to UKIP because the British establishment have a far more positive view of the EU than has the electorate. Our "illustrious" leaders take the view that it is just a matter of explaining to voters that we are wrong and that Britain is better off in the EU. The UK is severely divided over the EU....
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/2435/European-Union-membership-trends.aspx?view=wide
It's a difficult issue....
Quote, "sharply different opinions in different parts of the country, with the most Eurosceptic region, the North East of England, voting over 2:1 in favour of leaving, whilst the most pro-European region, Scotland, was over 2:1 against. Overall 7 of the 11 regions of Great Britain wanted to vote to leave the EU, whilst the other 4 (Scotland, the South-West, North-West and the most populous region, London) voting to remain a member..."
Source: http://survation.com/poll-for-sky-news-reveals-breadth-of-opinion-over-europe/

The British establishment thought they knew what the result of a referendum on Scottish independence would be and they got the shock of their lives but I doubt if they learned much.

MattR
Calcium
Re: UKIPMake sense???
on: November 26, 2014, 14:29

I see The Guardian isn't accepting comments on their story. Perhaps they are concerned that people would point out that Pearson was stating the simple truth and that a selective reading of the Quran is an insult to our intelligence.

If I did a load of good stuff and then killed a bunch of people, I can't imagine the judge saying "But he's a man of peace! Look at all the good things he did! The prosecution is being Mattphobic when it insists on going on about the murders!"

EDIT:
Re-reading this, I want to point out that I intensely dislike nearly all that UKIP stands for. It's ironic that a survey has shown UKIP voters tend to distrust big business and feel that the rich should contribute more to the country. Ironic because the only thing UKIP believes in apart from restricting immigration and defending sovereignty is to massively deregulate business and to slash taxes for the rich. Even when they are right (immigration/the EU) it is for the wrong reasons. They say it is all about protecting our heritage, but the real problem with both is that they are (in part) tools for big business to force down wages and employment conditions. The last thing UKIP wants to do is upset big business! Who was it that said patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel?

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.057 seconds.