Forum

Update: 16th October 2018 – this Atheism UK (Mingle) forum will close on some Wednesdays between 9am-11.30am for tests to introduce a bbPress forum. Chris Street, President, Atheism UK.

Welcome to the Atheism UK Forum, which is for the discussion of topics related to atheism and for the use of atheists who have registered on our web site as a Supporter of Atheism UK. Before you register as a Supporter, please note the following points:

Atheism UK is an organisation for convinced atheists. This web site serves as the public face of the organisation, as a resource for our members, and to communicate news, events and campaigns relevant to the advancement of atheism. Atheism UK is not an organisation for religious or ‘spiritual’ people. By becoming a Supporter of Atheism UK, you are declaring that you are an atheist and agree with our key Principles. The views expressed in this Forum are those of the individual authors and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Atheism UK.

Update 3rd December 2014 – Reminder: Our forum is for Atheists ONLY. Members should report theists on our forum to: contact@atheismuk.com. Theists will probably be banned without notice. 

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Naturalism - not Naturism!

crabsallov-
er
Administrator
Naturalism - not Naturism!
on: December 4, 2014, 10:04

I'm a Naturalist - not a naturist!

I have two main philosophical worldviews: Naturalism & Humanism. I think of atheism as a conviction rather than a worldview. World view is "a particular philosophy of life or conception of the world*"

Naturalism: "the philosophical belief that everything arises from natural properties and causes, and supernatural or spiritual explanations are excluded or discounted*"

*Oxford Dictionary (3rd Edition)

I'm interested in creating a Venn diagram of Humanism, Atheism and Naturalism.

Chris Street
President, AtheismUK

Alcuin
Administrator
Re: Naturalism - not Naturism!
on: December 6, 2014, 10:39

Totally agree. Mind you, naturism sounds more fun! 🙂

AdamZain
Calcium
on: December 15, 2014, 10:50

I object to this use of the term 'naturalism'. One of the greatest naturalists in history was Gilbert White, who was a country curate when he wrote 'The Natural History of Selborne'. I expect he believed in Jesus. In fact, there has been a rather long association between naturalists and Christianity - the glories of nature can easily be ascribed to divine creation - until you look a little deeper, that is. Anyway, naturalists have no particular religious affiliation as far as I know, and although there may be a trend amongst the scientific community to be sceptical about divine claims (at least I hope there is), the study of nature itself cannot be used as a synonym for a form of atheism. As someone on the internet says (so it must be true - although in this case it was Stanford Education something) "‘naturalism’ is not a particularly informative term as applied to contemporary philosophers" - just because some johnny-come-latelys started using the term - and in the US of all places - there's no need for everyone to join in.

Basically, bog off and get your own term. I suggest 'naturism' - then you won't get confused with proper naturalists and all will be well.

AdamZain
Calcium
on: December 15, 2014, 11:12

I was being a bit facetious, obviously, but I'm not sure how useful it is to adopt a word that is in more general currency and means something totally different, but also has a degree of overlap with the alternative use. I'm not sure what's better -I generally go for 'rational person' - which is not a claim of perfect rational thinking, but a commitment to try to use the tools of rationality when looking at the world, and a commitment to try to control one's own human tendencies towards faulty logic.

gegsieline
Calcium
on: February 13, 2015, 00:34

It's hard to think of another term for someone with a naturalist outlook on life Adam. Although I understand where your coming from. Too general. Maybe existentialist or mortalist.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.064 seconds.