Atheism UK’s Key Principles
The following key Principles inform our policies and decisions.
Humans have fabricated religion
- God or gods are concepts created by humans, and do not exist, except in the mind of the individual.
- Religious beliefs do not exist in isolation; they are propagated from one person to another.
- Children are not born with any religious beliefs or affiliations; these are imposed.
Morality develops independently of religion
- There is no divine moral authority.
- Although atheism is not a source of morality, it frees morality from corruption by religion.
Religion and superstition inhibit rational thought
- Religion is based on irrationality, superstition, and unsubstantiated beliefs.
- All religions encourage and perpetuate prejudice, ignorance, and intolerance.
- Religion inhibits critical thinking, discourages scientific enquiry, and restricts human progress.