Atheism’s sole object is the advancement of atheism. Our ultimate goal is the end of faith – the false and irrational belief that God exists – and of religion, the social manifestation of faith. The world would be a better place without them. We aim to achieve this by opposing the propagation of faith.
The most substantial propagation of faith is from parent to child. Whilst this cannot be interfered with directly in a free society, it can be modified by education of both parent and child.
Religious education in schools is one of our main areas of concern. Schools stand in loco parentis, in a real (not just a legal) sense. And, today’s children are tomorrow’s parents.
We will campaign for the abolition of:
- Religious Education*
- Compulsory Collective Worship
- Faith Schools – on the grounds that they are founded on a falsehood: God exists.
* aspects of RE should still be taught within History, Geography & Citizenship curricula.
Our report, Religious Education in State Schools (2010) makes recommendations which emphasise a “bottom-up” reform, under which parents and schools are encouraged to exploit the existing law. This action may, in itself bring about changes in government and LEA policy and hasten changes in the law.
We have policies on the following:
- Religious Education (2010) as applied to maintained schools
- The Word “Spiritual” in Education Legislation (2010)
- Religious Education in Academies (2011)
Further policies are in the course of development, particularly in relation to Faith Schools.